In kettle filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman_fs

Reaction score
I'm playing with an idea for hot break filtration. I have a pump and whirlpool fitting on my BK that I use, but I would like to get to chilling and pitching faster.

SO, I'm thinking divert to a filter bag hanging inside the BK. When it fills up switch to the whirlpool and begin chilling. Might not be perfect but seems to be a step in the right direction. Sizing the bag to the hop load and playing with the mesh size are still variables.

I have swedged and brazed a coupling to a 3" tri-clamp cap. A filter bag can be clamped to the cap and hung inside the kettle. I plan on adding a perforated pipe to the inside of the bag, that's why I used a coupler; so I had threads available on both sides.

2016-02-21 20.37.43.jpg

2016-02-21 20.39.17.jpg

I tried something similar a couple batches ago by slowly recirculating in to my hop spider with a Wilser hop bag. It plugged up tight, like a hoppy water balloon. Like you said playing with the mesh size will be required, but I'll be surprised if there is a size that will allow the required flow while still being an effective filter.

Like the guy above, I tried to recirculate through my hop spider from arborfab, which I think is 300 micron. I cannot recall. I learned a very hard lesson that day when I turned my back and the filter, which is 6x12, filled up and overflowed all over the table, wall, and floor. Those things are too fine to recirculate water through with hop pellets, at least that was my poor experience. That said, if you can get something that is a looser mesh, then it can work but it won't filter pellet hops much.

I messed around with recirculating in my BK using various filter bags and a false bottom. In the end I gave up and picked up a pump instead. Rather than trying to filter, I whirlpool while chilling via IC. Once I reach pitching temp, I pull the chiller and continue to whirlpool for ~5 min. Then I turn off the pump and let things settle for another ~5 min. Then I pump from the BK into the fermentor. this method has provided me the easiest and most reliable way to minimize the trub going into the fermentor without having to worry about sanitizing extra parts or getting anything clogged or stuck.

Thanks guys. I too have had my fair share of plugs and mess due to pellets. My current strategy is similar to Auger where I whirlpool, either before or during chilling with an IC but I'm looking for a better way.

I have a plate chiller that I prefer to use over the IC as I can put a lid on the BK and recirculate until the chiller output is at my target pitching temps, then divert into fermenter all under pump power and remaining covered. Due to bad experiences with plugs in the plate chiller I have to be very careful about hop load and containing pellets in bags, (which is a detriment to flavour I believe) if I want to use it.

I'm hopeful that the filter bag I have prototyped up has a few potential benefits to any of my previous attempts. Since it's on the pump discharge side and also clamped closed I'm hopeful it sets up a pseudo pressurised filter bed within the bag. The typical homebrew pump can supply upto 7 psi to help compact the filter bed of solids within the bag and continue to force fluid through where gravity flow would stall out. There is no risk of pump cavitation as the suction side of the pump can be left wide open in this setup.

Worst case I will fill the bag with what it can take, flow will slow to a trickle and I will divert to the whirlpool. Hopefully with a few ounces of solids pre-trapped within the bag. I also plan on running the filter just prior to chilling prevent the cold break from compounding the filtration problem. I also don't think cold break is a bad thing to pass into your fermentor.

I'll try and run a trial on my next brew in about 2 weeks. I'm working on a few other "upgrades" to my BK so it is out of commission until all of my fittings are in place.

I do like the idea that under pressure, it won't fill up and spill out like an open top bag would. . The only failure would be overpressurizing to the point of blow out. Since I have male camlocks with 2" TC flanges on it I can try it out this weekend when I brew.

Since I have male camlocks with 2" TC flanges on it I can try it out this weekend when I brew.

Thanks Bobby, you will make it to brew day before me. I also thought about adding a triclamp ferrule within the grip of the clamp to allow the use of a gasket and ensure the clamp makes a tight seal to the bag by passing it between the gasket and cap.

I was hoping you would see this, I look forward to your feedback.. :mug:

If a piece of equipment were devised to allow separation of the trub and hops, (pellet) would you all fellow Brewers be willing to put a little extra grain in the mash to allow for some of the wort being wasted or left within said piece of equipment? Let's say a gallon arbitrarily for now?

Works well; I'll continue to filter within my BK.

I upsized the bag from earlier photos to a BIAB I made a while ago that didn't fit my kettle.

I returned the boiling wort via silicone hose to my filterbag and left it run for a couple minutes before the end of the boil and running my plate exchanger. I might try doing it at the beginning of the boil next time to see if it makes a difference.

Sorry for the bad photos, it was late and I didn't think about taking the photo until I had my hands into it.

2016-04-18 21.02.08.jpg

2016-04-18 21.04.10.jpg

Back