Improvised blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
Ok so this morning I woke up and my airlock was bubbling like crazy and krausen started to come up.
Also I was in a hurry to get to the work so I had to build an improvised blow off tube.
I took the bottling racking tube and took off the white bottle filler at the end and put the hard plastic part in the airlock hole. It seems to work at the start because bubbles came out of the other end.
The end of the tube I put inside of sanitized water bucket.

Is it a sufficient blow off tube? It's my first time doing it and I had to improvise something

If your ferment is very vigorous, the krausen may clog that small tube or the plastic piece that goes into the airlock hole. The answer to that is to control the temperature so your beer ferments slower. I hope you have some way to keep the fermenter cool.

What's done is done. Just stop by the store and get yourself a piece of tubing on the way home. My 5-gallon glass carboy took a 28mm tubing, IIRC.

Back