Improving Midwest's Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carusoat

Reaction score
So I couldn't resist the deal for the "2redheads" on Midwest and got the Ryerish Ale and their Irish Red ale kits. I've made the Irish Red one before, and wasn't very impressed. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for making it a little more flavourful or really anything to make it better.

Here's the basic kit recipe:

Fermentables:
6 lbs Gold LME

Steeping Grains
12 oz caramel 40L
2 oz Special B
2 oz Roasted Barley

Hops
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Fuggle

Yeast
Wyeast Headwater's Ale

thanks!

I don't have any tips, but I am looking forward to any responses, since I just bought it again. I actually very much enjoyed the Kit I got before. I have to admit I'm a newbie to the hobby. My question is, why would you buy it again if you weren't thoroughly satisfied before? Too save a couple of dollars? I am going to add 3 lbs of honey that someone wrote in the comments of the product to try to boost the Alcohol Content (I've been working all night and can't remember that damn abbreviation for Alcohol Content, lol). I'm also going to read up on BIAB Methods before my kit gets here.

haha a good question- I had a gift certificate and had been waiting for a good deal like that one to spend it on. I figured I didn't mind getting the red again because I wanted the Ryerish one, and i knew I'd change something up on the irish red.

Also, I think I'm going to add some honey to it too...I was thinking 1.5 lbs though and maybe turn it into a red ipa of some sort

Sorry, I thought I had replied to this thread on my phone. With the signal being bad at work, I'm sure it didn't get sent out. I had commented on how great of an excuse you had, lol. I got all my stuff together and a day off, so I'm making mine tomorrow. After doing much reading while I was on shift (12 hour shifts), I only regret not getting a yeast starter, and I will be doing that from now on. I'm going to go ahead with this one, as is. I'm going to go full speed ahead with the honey addition. I'm not looking for a great amount of Honey taste, I'm just looking for a hint of honey, which is why I will add before the FO and not put into fermenter. My main reason for the honey is to raise the ABV. Now that I no more about ABV, I will be ordering kits now that have higher OG to start off with. Like my bud says, life begins at 60, ROFL. I live in a State where we have 3.2 Near Beer, which has no alcohol, no taste, no nothing, lol. I love strong flavors, which, I was told that the honey will cause me to loose some "Mouthy" feel with this Ale. Did you brew yours yet? How is it looking so far? When did you put your honey in? I got more honey on the way and some 1 gallon bottles, as I'm spreading-out into the mead/melonel business too. Love this Forum, I've been learning a lot. I only have a few batches under my belt, but, am ramping-up business again.

I'm supposed to brew it today if I can get the time. I think I'm not gonna go with honey on this one, but if I was I would add it after the wort has been cooled below 170F. This way it should retain some flavor.

I think I'm just gonna turn it into a Red IPA by adding some hops and maybe some DME to get the ABV up a little higher.

Back