Imperial Yeast Que Bueno

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocke_Ale

Reaction score
I’m planning a Vienna-Style Lager using Imperial Yeast Que Bueno. Anyone use this yet?

Im going to make a mexican lager with it. Probably make a big starter with it.

12 gallon batch today 1.051 OG
18lb Pilsen
2 lb CaraHell
Mashed 152f
Strata at 60m for 17 Ibus, .5oz
Strata at 0m for 17 IBUs,3oz
(beersmith 3.0 calculates flameout ibus now?!?)
Pitched Que Beuno at 52f

I've just ordered my ingredients along with this yeast to make the recipe linked below. Got some Proper Starter as a HBS had an offer - gonna build up a starter then wash the yeast and hopefully keep it going for a few generations. Excited to make this one!

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-mexican-lager/
Please keep us posted. I’m a big fan of beerandbrewing. I’ve brewed several of their recipes and they’ve been great.
Also a fan of Imperial yeast. I’ve used several lager strains and a couple of ale yeast as well.
Ssshh- don’t tell anyone but I’ve actually opened a pack of flagship and only pitched half for a 5 gal batch and saved the other half for a starter. Beers have always turned out fine.

Hey @AzOr
I will try and remember :)

It's quite funny I just brewed the 'Beer and Brewing' Altbier recipe last week, it's a style I really enjoy and one I've not made in far too long. I was checking a sample to judge how far along the fermentation was and the sample tasted great. I immediately went back to see what other "Brew your best..." recipes they had on their site and the Mexican Lager caught my attention. I understand it's becoming a popular style among American craft brewers and having a few German lagers under my belt (I really enjoy an Augustiner) I thought it would be a good alternative try out for my next brew day. Luckily the HBS had one pack of the Que Bueno yeast left in stock so I jumped on it. I'll make a starter and get it brewed next week when I have a bit more time.

I've still got a pack each of 'Harvest' and 'Joystick' in the fridge but they won't go to waste. I've a tried and tested Helles I'd like to brew again plus an Imperial Stout I'd like to try with the Joystick yeast. I'm moving to a new house soon and I think there's a space I can use which will be ideal for lagering so the Helles might get a couple of months sat in there while the other beers get drank! I always maintain the best time to brew a lager is when you don't have any empty kegs left, that way it has to sit it the cold waiting!

Hey @AzOr
I will try and remember :)

It's quite funny I just brewed the 'Beer and Brewing' Altbier recipe last week, it's a style I really enjoy and one I've not made in far too long. I was checking a sample to judge how far along the fermentation was and the sample tasted great. I immediately went back to see what other "Brew your best..." recipes they had on their site and the Mexican Lager caught my attention. I understand it's becoming a popular style among American craft brewers and having a few German lagers under my belt (I really enjoy an Augustiner) I thought it would be a good alternative try out for my next brew day. Luckily the HBS had one pack of the Que Bueno yeast left in stock so I jumped on it. I'll make a starter and get it brewed next week when I have a bit more time.

I've still got a pack each of 'Harvest' and 'Joystick' in the fridge but they won't go to waste. I've a tried and tested Helles I'd like to brew again plus an Imperial Stout I'd like to try with the Joystick yeast. I'm moving to a new house soon and I think there's a space I can use which will be ideal for lagering so the Helles might get a couple of months sat in there while the other beers get drank! I always maintain the best time to brew a lager is when you don't have any empty kegs left, that way it has to sit it the cold waiting!
My two favorite recipes from there are the session IPA and session Pilsner. Both are great base recipes. I've brewed the IPA several times as is and a couple of times playing with the hop bill. The session IPA beer drinks like a much bigger beer.

An update!
I brewed this on the 11th of March and all went well. I've never used flaked maize before and I noticed it did clump a little on my pump filter but a no hassle brew day overall. I used 40g of Motueka hops over the recommended 28g. I was using a hop spider and I've been reading that a 5-10% extra hop addition should be considered... and I like Motueka so maybe just a little over an extra 10% added. I may not get to drink any of this for another 3-4 weeks after its feremented so it could well get proper lagering time - the extra hops should hopefully keep it quite bright and zesty if it has a few extra weeks in the keg before sampling!

I ended up pitching the yeast direct from the pack and didn't do a starter. It took approx 24hr to really see signs of activity but it's been bubbling away at a healthy rate and there is that sulphur/eggy smell when I open the fermenting fridge so I know it's working well...it does stink though!

I'll give it at least a week before letting it free rise to 20/21c and get a D-rest done. It'll be cold crashed and I'll possibly use some Kwikfine or some such product to help it clear, I was all out of Irish Moss on brew day! I'll transfer to keg once it's crashed and hold it at as cold a temp as I can get it. I usually have it in the brew fridge set for 2c and I keep a few 2 litre bottles of ice in there to keep it as cool as possible.

As I'm moving house soon I'll transport the keg to the new place as quickly as I can where it's out of the way and I'll not be able to start drawing off samples until I get properly moved in by the end of April! I may well keep it as a 'house warming party' beer. We should be all in and ready to go by early May at the latest - (Cinco de Mayo anyone?)

So the beer is finished and in the keg. It’s got a great flavour, malty like a good lager with definite ‘corn’ flavours. The hop additions of Motueka really do add that zesty citrus vibe and it tastes good. I’m in between moving flat so not really a chance to get a couple of pints and see how it sessions but at approx 5% it’s light enough in body but big enough in flavour to hit the spot from what I’ve tasted so far.

Back