Imperial Summer Graff???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone! It's been a while but I've got the bug in me to get brewing again. I've made many batches of Graff using Brandon O's recipe and it has all turned out great.

I'm thinking of making a batch with a twist for a vacation this coming July. Imperial Summer Graff!!!! I'd appreciate some advice and let me know if I'm crazy.

Safale-05 hops
5 gallons of apple juice
1lb Crystal 120L
2oz Torrified Wheat
3lbs DME. 1lb Amber, 2lb light
0.5oz of Cascade Hops
2-3oz of Fresh Orange and Lemon Zest

The intention is to beef up the ABV a little bit and five it some citrus hints. Something like an offspring of a Summer Ale and a traditional Graff. Shooting for 9-10% ABV.

What do you think? Too much, not enough, just right?

I've tried using different "C" hops in past batches to give it a citrus hint. I personally think it never turns out very good.

You're literally comparing apples to oranges....:ban:

Just my 2 cents

I have been using WLP090. Really chews through the complex sugars of the apple juice. I noticed when using WLP001 the yeast became exhausted and need a rousing to prevent a stuck fermentation. I always make a substantial starter about 36 hours to pitch.

I'll give that a try. Many of my past standard issue Graffs have finished out around 1.015.

I am going to use a larger boil using apple juice. I think I might be carmelizing the sugars too much or something. I don't care if it's cloudy.

How do you house the yeast? Stir it or give it a slosh? How often?

Back