Imperial Stout with the Grainfather - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fragglerock

Reaction score
About a month ago I purchased my Grainfather (110v) and absolutely love it. The Brown Ale and Saison that I brewed with it are coming along nicely. However, Friday I thought I would give an Imperial Stout a shot and had an issue that stumps even my LHBS. Since the Grainfather couldn't handle the full 5 gallon grain bill I scaled it down to 4 gallons for a total grain weight of 16.7 lbs. I used the calculator on the Grainfather website, mashed with 6.33 gallons for 60 minutes at 152 F and sparged with .59 gallons at 168. After the sparge was finished my pre-boil volume as 7 gallons! I had lost none to grain absorption and ended up missing my target OG of 1.113 by quite a bit. I could have just boiled off as much as possible but with the slow evaporation rate, I would have been there for hours. Any ideas on what in the world happened?

I don't have a GF or similar single vessel... but that sparge volume doesn't seem like much, and its not possible to have no grain absorption. 17 lbs of grain should hold about 2 gallons of liquid. I suppose longer draining might reduce that a bit, but a sponge won't give up all its liquid no matter what gravity tries to do.

I'm some of it was actually absorbed but still, should I be getting that much volume pre-boil? I checked and re-checked (even had the wife take a look to make sure I wasn't going blind) but the level was 7 gallons. I'm still working out a lot of kinks, this is only my third all grain batch.

Grain absorption is not linear. My experience is that a small grist will retain more liquid than a big grist pr kg malt used. You need to adjust grain absorbtion to your grist size.

Did you mill the grain?
How much time did you take doughing in? Pour in a little, stir a lot, repeat.

Thanks for the responses. I'm beginning to think it was a milling issue. I milled the grain at my LHBS, tomorrow I will ask them what the settings on the mill are. I took my time doughing in, wife poured a little while I stirred.

Latest posts

Back