Imperial Stout, Which hops would you recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aleiexjr

Reaction score
Hello again guys!

I'm planning on doing an Imperial Stout and I want it to be dark, dense and strong (I'm also considering doing a Dry Stout or any other type that is dark, dense and strong).

But I'm not sure about which hops should I use to make it strong and yet have that chocolate and roasted flavor, what do you guys think about it? :)

You want it to be pretty hoppy, is what you mean? I'd use a high AA like columbus, chinook, or nugget. You're gonna need a lot to notice the hops in a really chocolatey/roasty stout.

Well by strong I meant high alchohol and dense, not precisely hoppy, but I'd like to get a bit of hop flavor though.

I'm not super experienced with dark stouts, but from what I gather it depends what you want out of it. Either way, like aleiexjr said, you're gonna need something fairly strong to be noticeable. Look up a hop guide. If you want noticeable bitterness go with a really strong bittering hop. If you want some good hop flavor, make sure you have a good bit of hops on the late end of your schedule.

I love magnum for bittering in big stouts. If you want some hop flavor it all depends what characteristics your looking to add from 30 minutes on.

Thanks for you suggestions guys, when I have the recipe figured out I'll post it :D

What about warrior hops? Good bittering used it in one of my RIS recipes tastes great even green. Got to test a bottles ever two weeks!!!

Magnum is fairly popular for an imperial stout. I have one in bottles now that I did about a year ago. I used cascade and EKG. It turned out awesome. make sure you go heavy on the hops. I know I was scared to bump the IBU to around 100, but with an OG of 1.095, I had to balance the malt somehow.

there's a wide range of imperial stouts, depending what you're after. They can vary from rich, sweet dessert beers, to roastier and hoppier american-style stouts. Compare Rogue's imperial stout to to sam smith's impy, for example. So, basically - use any hop you like - they're all appropriate, depending on what you're shooting for.

I used all Chinooks in mine, it turned out fantastic, 2 ounces at 60 min. .5 ounce at10 min. .5 ounce at 5 min. Good luck with it whichever you choose.:rockin:

Actually, I've been thinking about making a beer with N. Brewer and Chinook, perhaps I should give those a try

I love magnum for bittering in big stouts. If you want some hop flavor it all depends what characteristics your looking to add from 30 minutes on.

+1, spicy, clean, bitter without any fruity or floral flavors to compete. Although I'm not a big resinous hop fan so that's why I don't use Chinook or something

Latest posts

Back