Imperial Rye IPA tweaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxp

Reaction score
I'll be brewing what is both my first rye and my first imperial IPA this weekend.

Overall, I wanted something big and boozy with a malty backbone to support citrus and spice. I would like a notable rye contribution but not overwhelming or overpowering, particularly with respect to the hops. My Googling so far seems to indicate that is somewhere in the 10% to 20% range.

How does this look? I have another pound of rye, should I add it or keep it as?

Also, I have not settled on dry hops and am open to ideas. I have 2 oz of Summit on hand.

Any other suggestions?

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.375 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.250 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 106.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.2 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
13 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 72.20%
3 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) 16.70%
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 11.10%
1.000 oz Chinook - Boil 60.0 min 39.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) -
1.000 oz Centennial - Boil 15.0 min
0.500 oz Chinook - Boil 15.0 min
1.000 oz Amarillo Gold - Boil 10.0 min
1.000 oz Centennial - Boil 10.0 min
0.500 oz Chinook - Boil 10.0 min
1.000 oz Amarillo Gold - Boil 5.0 min
0.500 oz Centennial - Boil 5.0 min
0.500 oz Chinook - Boil 5.0 min
1.000 oz Amarillo Gold - Boil 0.0 min
0.500 oz Centennial - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)

Mash: 150*F
Estimated FG: 1.018
Estimated ABV: 8.9%

Hoping to brew this up tomorrow, timing permitting. No thoughts? I'll take anything :)

Add the extra lb of Rye. I think you will probably be disappointed with the rye flavor even at that amount. I like to go 20% minimum, and even that is low ..... problem is you get slow sparges, so add some extra time to let the mash drain .... a lot of extra time.

I like to add my 0 minute hops after I have cooled the wort to 175 F, and then leave it for 30 minutes (stirring occasionally).

I think I would dry hop with some more of the hops that you have in there. Amarillo, Chinook, Centennial. I think I would just dry hop with a single hop.

I would agree with adding the extra rye. If you're looking to really get the spiciness from the rye you need to be at like 15-20%

Thanks, all -- an extra pound it is! No rice hulls, unfortunately. <gulp> I like to use the spent grains for bread baking so avoid hulls unless necessary and it seemed to be about a 50/50 split on using hulls with small amounts of rye. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks, all -- an extra pound it is! No rice hulls, unfortunately. <gulp> I like to use the spent grains for bread baking so avoid hulls unless necessary and it seemed to be about a 50/50 split on using hulls with small amounts of rye. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You will be OK. Just allow extra time for draining the mash and sparge.

Latest posts

Back