Imperial Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sactodd

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts/guidance on this recipe for an imperial Red

6.5 lb Maris Otter
7 lbs 2 Row U.S.
1.5 Honey malt
1.25 Caramunich malt
1lb Crystal 120
6oz Maltodextrine
4oz Rye Malt
3oz Roasted Barley
2oz Biscuit Malt

1oz E,Kent Goldings 60min
.5oz E.Kent Goldings 40 min
.25oz Fuggle 30 min
.25 oz Fuggle 20 min
.50 oz Wilamette 10 min

White Labs Irish Ale yeast WLP004

Looks fine. What flavors are you looking for?

I would cut the maltodextrine, rye and biscuit. Then cut the caramunich to .75 lbs. Increase roasted barley to 4 oz and the 120L to 1.50 lbs.

My two cents, drop the maltodextrine and the honey malt or at least reduce it. 1.5 pounds is going to be very sweet and very noticeable. Either increase the rye or drop it 4oz will not even be noticeable. You could do a pound of rye and it will add body and have minimal flavor impact. Up the roast and biscuit to 4oz. If you really want a red color maybe consider using Red X or Carared.

The original thought on the sweetness, was to help mask the abv (~8%). Kept the roasted barley @ 3oz for lighter color.
Now @

6.5 lb Maris Otter
7 lbs 2 Row U.S.
1 lb Honey malt
1.25 Caramunich malt
1 lb Crystal 120
12oz Rye Malt
3oz Roasted Barley
4oz Biscuit Malt

Thanks for the suggestions!

6.5 lb Maris Otter
7 lbs 2 Row U.S.
1.5 Honey malt
1.25 Caramunich malt
1lb Crystal 120
6oz Maltodextrine
4oz Rye Malt
3oz Roasted Barley
2oz Biscuit Malt

1oz E,Kent Goldings 60min
.5oz E.Kent Goldings 40 min
.25oz Fuggle 30 min
.25 oz Fuggle 20 min
.50 oz Wilamette 10 min

Now @

6.5 lb Maris Otter
7 lbs 2 Row U.S.
1 lb Honey malt
1.25 Caramunich malt
1 lb Crystal 120
12oz Rye Malt
3oz Roasted Barley
4oz Biscuit Malt

Have you ever used Honey malt? I think you either love it or hate it. I hate it and have not found anyone who loves it. It provides a sickly sweet flavor of honey (some bias here). I would be wary of using anymore than 0.5 lbs in a 5 gallon batch ...... that would be too much for me. I've used it a few times at 0.25 to 0.5 lbs per 5 gallons and have not liked it. Just be cautioned, that if you don't like it, ...... you will have 5 gallons of beer.

Glad to see you got rid of the Malto; it has no place in all-grain.

2.25 lbs of crystal malt seems high (caramunich + C120). This too will leave a lot of sweetness. If that is what you want, then OK.

Finally, what are the 40, 30, and 20 minute hops supposed to be doing. Move them to 60, or later in the boil.

Back