Imperial Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
This is going to be my first crack at a bigger beer. My first mash tun could only hold 12 lbs of grain. I'm shooting for a deep red color and a good balance between maltiness and bitterness. It will probably be a another week or two before I have time to brew, so I'm definitely down for any suggestions.

5.5 gallons

Target O.G 1.078
IBUS 77

12 lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Munich 10L
1 lbs Crystal 40L @153
.5 lbs Crystal 120L
.5 lbs Special Roast
1 oz Chocolate

1 oz Columbus 15% FWH
.5 oz Simcoe 13% 20 min
.5 oz Centennial 10% 20 min
1 oz Simcoe 13% 10 min
1 oz Centennial 10% 10 min
1 oz Simcoe 13% Flameout
1 oz Centennial 10% Flameout

Dryhop with 1 oz of Simcoe and Centennial 7 days before bottling

11.5g Danstar Nottingham @65

Small amounts of roasted barley are the more traditional route to red color, and you could swap that for your chocolate. Maybe even bump it up to 2-4 oz. If you can get your hands on some CaraRed, then you could swap that out for the C40L and get a little more red color.

At 1078 and 77 IBU, this fits the profile for a DIPA almost perfectly. You might consider pitching two packages of Nottingham.

Looks tasty. Post your result.

Good call on the yeast. I completely forgot about factoring the high O.G.

How did this one go? I'm looking to brew a similar beer this weekend and I'm still figuring out my recipe. Did the deep red color turn out? Did the malt give you the flavors you were hoping for?

Back