Imperial Mango IPA (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ailstock

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the website and would love some feedback an pointers on my recipe.
This is my first brew, and recipe I have come up with it.

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Wort Boil: 90 Minutes

Grains/Extract/Sugars

8lb - Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
8oz - Crystal 40L
8oz - Cara Pilsner
2lb - Corn Sugar

Yeast
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Hops
Zeus Whole Hops 16.4% AAU
(90 Minutes - 1.00 oz)
Nugget Whole Hops 14.1% AAU
(90 Minutes - 1.00 oz)

(30 Minutes - 1.00 oz)
Citra Whole Hops 13.4% AAU
(30 Minutes - 2.00 oz)

(0 Minutes - 1.00 oz)
(0 Minutes - 1.00 oz)
(0 Minutes - 1.00 oz)

Dry Hop 1 (7 days)
Zeus Whole Hops 16.4% AAU (1.5 oz)
Nugget Whole Hops 14.1% AAU (1.5 oz)
Citra Whole Hops 13.4% AAU (1.00 oz)

Dry Hop 2 (7 more Days)
Zeus Whole Hops 16.4% AAU (1.00 oz)

Notes
Mash at 151 Degrees For 90 Minutes

Rack off dry hops in secondary & add 5lbs of mangos

I would love some feed back, I'm going to try this out tomorrow. This recipe is loosely based off this Triple Mango IPA

The recipe looks loosely based off of Pliny.

You could sacrifice some of those early additions for a nice 15 or 10 minute addition... More aroma, less bitterness. I would never use Citra at 90... or 30 for that matter. I'd also dryhop this beer for 10-13 days. You could probably cut 2.50 oz from the dryhop and still have a very fragrant beer. I would focus on the Citra at whirlpool and dryhop to accentuate the mango.

Carapils is not necessary in extract beers since it's already inherent in extract. So essentially, you're just doubling up on it. I'd keep the sugar addition between 10-15%. I'm not sure about the fruit aspect. I don't think it will be welcoming here, but that's just my opinion. But you could always make things easier by bottling with some mango juice. Lastly, you'll need a big yeast starter.

I did end up taking the Citra out of the first 90 minutes, but why from 30?
I have it in the first fermentor now. I only had one thing of liquid yeast, I'm worried it might not have been enough.

If you just pitched the vial of yeast without making a starter, you will have an under-attenuated sweet beer.

I have nothing against 30 minute additions, but you're stripping much of the excellent Citra character if you choose to use it at 30. It's so high in myrcene and great tropical aroma, that it should really be used late... 15 minutes tops, preferably later.

Could that be solved by pitching another yeast in it, or is it to late? It's been sitting for maybe 16 hours now.

It is in the secondary know, with the mangos and dry hops. i'll post pictures if people are interested.

I would have pitched another pack of yeast if you didn't make a starter. This recipe sounds delicious. I love the idea of a mango Ipa.

It smells strong, I think it fermentaded fine, and it is still bubbling perotically even in the secondary. I'll post some pictures tonight. It is somewhat cloudy. Should have used some irish moss to clear it up but its too late for that.

11ln8ux.jpg

It's kegged, tasted a sample today but it was carbonated enough. Giving it another day or so. It seems to have lost its mango flavor and aroma since its been kegged. Before I kegged it, it was pungent in mango aroma.
Its a strong yet sweet citrusy IPA. Around 10%. It's a strong alcohol flavor but not harsh or overwhelming.

So I had bottled some from my keg and was wondering why they weren't very carbonated when I opened one the next day? I filled them at 3 psi so there wouldn't be a lot of foam, but they seem to have lost carbonation being in the bottle.

Ailstock said:
So I had bottled some from my keg and was wondering why they weren't very carbonated when I opened one the next day? I filled them at 3 psi so there wouldn't be a lot of foam, but they seem to have lost carbonation being in the bottle.

I've experienced this as well, if you don't have some sort of counter pressure when you fill the bottles from the keg they will go flat within hours. There are some good threads here on how to make them for cheap.

Well I did I the cheap way with a little stopper and auto-fill rod from watching examples on YouTube. I'll open another tonight probably to see if it's flat as well.

It seems the one I opened was the only dud. I've gotten great reviews on it so far and even got a shout out on my buddies beer/metal podcast!
Gonna bottle the rest from the keg.

pasteurize at 54 C for 5 minutes careful not to go over then you will have a nice drink over pasteurize you kill the new Bactria. I only ferment for 72 hours nice sweet and sour drink alcohol 6%. Could add a cup of Mango syrup for your taste..

Hey guys, I'm new to the website and would love some feedback an pointers on my recipe.
This is my first brew, and recipe I have come up with it.

Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Wort Boil: 90 Minutes

Grains/Extract/Sugars

8lb - Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
8oz - Crystal 40L
8oz - Cara Pilsner
2lb - Corn Sugar

Yeast
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Hops
(90 Minutes - 1.00 oz)
(90 Minutes - 1.00 oz)

(30 Minutes - 1.00 oz)
(30 Minutes - 2.00 oz)

(0 Minutes - 1.00 oz)
(0 Minutes - 1.00 oz)
(0 Minutes - 1.00 oz)

Dry Hop 1 (7 days)
Zeus Whole Hops 16.4% AAU (1.5 oz)
Nugget Whole Hops 14.1% AAU (1.5 oz)

Dry Hop 2 (7 more Days)
Zeus Whole Hops 16.4% AAU (1.00 oz)

Notes
Mash at 151 Degrees For 90 Minutes

Rack off dry hops in secondary & add 5lbs of mangos

I would love some feed back, I'm going to try this out tomorrow. This recipe is loosely based off this Triple Mango IPA
I never brew the way everyone says. All recipe seem to be off for me Their brewing time aging to hell and back for a dry piece of S. If I want the seem crap that is be sold it cheaper to buy it. I make Mango I never use any of your ing. look for recipes that has mango small amount of yeast sugar water lemon no one uses the rest of the recipe I use plus I don't put out. pasteurize at 54 C for 5 minutes careful not to go over you will have a nice drink over pasteurize you kill the new Bactria. I only ferment for 72 hours nice sweet and sour drink alcohol 6%. Could add a cup of (Mango syrup for your taste 2 mango 1/2 sugar 2 tbsp lemon juice or 1/8th tsp a citric acid) bring to boil and strain thru cloth. If your try to make sweet a hint of bite to never ferment over 4 max. 5 day depending on your fruit strain pasteurize and chill. I am just country boy. If i want to ferment the full time for the maximum alcohol level which is 21 days if your doing slow brew could be 30 days. Make 8 liter of water 2 kg sugar 2 tsp any yeast 4 tbsp lemon juice of 1 citric acid 4 tbsp of lees from last batch brew for 21 days you have 16% alcohol mix your friut juice to that I mix 1 x 1 juice i use 2 kg mango 6 liters water 2 cups sugar for my mix boil strain for my mix . if you don't have lees get a quart jar fill 3/4 full water 2 tbsp sugar 10 gram of yeast set foff to the side until finishes fermenting the pour off the water S in the bottom is lees it is (Lees) = Nutrients amino acid composition great food for yeast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back