Imperial Loki - How much do I pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Go easy on me. I'm a long time brewer but first time Kveik user/fermenterer. I have a packet of Imperial Loki, like all their yeast, it states 200 billion cells.

In the next couple of days I'll be brewing an IPA of 1.065ish. Fermenting at about 85f. I've read to coax interesting flavor you should under pitch. It's a rosemary IPA so I don't want too much yeast character but a little is fine.

Should I pitch the whole pack or maybe half? I have some apple juice I wanna try kveik with as well, so saving half would work out well.

Imperial yeast have been one of my favorites as of late. They dont typically need a starter with standard ales . I dont know what they consider standard . Is this a 5 or 2.5 gallon batch? If its 5 I'd toss the whole thing .

I'm definitely going to try this strain . One of my dogs is named Loki. :)

Yeah it’s for 5 gallons. I’ve always heard that you’re supposed to under pitch is the reason I was asking.
I may pitch most of it for beer and save a little for cider. I can ferment the cider by pitching into one gallon then step feeding one gallon at a time. Either way I’m excited to try out kveik.

Back