Imperial IPA - with or without chili?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onihige

Reaction score
I'm helping my father with his home brewing (I'm a newbie myself :p), and out of the three recipes I made for him to start with I made one is an Imperial Pale Ale which I think he'll like.

And recently, he bought three ordinary red chili he doesn't know what to do with - so I suggested putting that in the beer.

Good idea or bad? Maybe only add it to a few bottles, and if so... how?

It may not be a stylistic Imperial IPA, but the recipe is as follows:

19 liter (5 gallon)

6 kg (13.22 lbs) pale ale
0.45 kg (1 lbs) abbey malt
0.45 kg (1 lbs) melanoid malt
0.20 kg (0.44 lbs) special B

25 gram Amarillo (11.2%) 60 minutes
25 gram Amarillo (11.2%) 40 minutes
25 gram Amarillo (11.2%) 20 minutes
25 gram Amarillo (11.2%) 5 minutes

Safale S-04 (I wanted California Ale WLP001, but he cheaped out.)

Been thinking of dry hopping with some other hops he might have lying about (tager vad man haver, as we say in Sweden).

We haven't tested the brew system, so I can only guesstimate efficiency (estimateing on the lower end). We'll do a BIAB, since it seems easier.

We won't make this beer first. Maybe save it for last, first we'll do a Scottish Export 80/- and then an American Pale Ale.

I love peppers, that is my primary love, and primary hobby is making hot sauce from peppers in my garden. This has lent itself to various infused alcohols and vinegars naturally as well.

Well there's a lot of things you can do with them, the bite of the pepper and acidic finish may go interesting with a hoppy IIPA. Only one way to see.

I would quarter the peppers down the length, and remove the seeds, along with the veinous material. These things have the most capasaicin, and also the most astringent flavors. While I have infused various liquors wanting seeds to increase the heat and intensity of the infusion, in a beer, I would suggest just using the fruit.

There may be those that have done it with beer here, I am sure there are! So they may instruct you better than me in this matter, but it sounds fascinating.

Latest posts

Back