Imperial Fuggle IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurrTucky

Reaction score
Fuggle Imperial IPA 3.3# Amber LME 3.3# Golden Light LME 1 1/2 gallon boil water 2 oz Whole cone US Fuggle boil 1/2 oz. US Fuggle pellets & 1/2 oz Simcoe pellets @ 30 min 1/2 oz Fuggle & Simcoe 5 min 1 gallon cold water to fermenter. Safale US-05 yeast Yields around 3 Gallons 1.082 SG Primary fermenting at 60-65 degrees F

image-3011454415.jpg

image-2705507877.jpg

I've read a lot of the Fuggle IPA's fall short on bitterness and aroma. Fuggles are only 4% alpha so I tried using a lot of them. Plus I threw in some Simcoe for piney ness.

Looks nice!

Want to do brew an IPA with Fuggle and other English varieties sometimes soon. Given the fact that I want to brew all kinds of beer, at all times, preferably at the same time, that coincidence is not very impressive.

Yeast stopped fermenting at around 7%. Still way too sweet. Going to try repitching with another strain

With the fact that this was all extract and half of the extract was amber, I think you might be about as low as you're going to get. I would suggest subbing in some simple sugar for some of the extract next time. What yeast did you use and at what temp did you ferment? And what is your gravity right now?

Looks good to me! I do believe my next batch will be my Imperial IPA afterall! Thanks for the inspiration!

Looks good, but since you're in the equipment/sanitation section, you might want to have a mod move your thread.

peterj said:
With the fact that this was all extract and half of the extract was amber, I think you might be about as low as you're going to get. I would suggest subbing in some simple sugar for some of the extract next time. What yeast did you use and at what temp did you ferment? And what is your gravity right now?
I didn't realize the Amber was less fermentables. I should have used some LME then? Or Honey, or Dextrose like your saying. Yeah, my gravity didn't drop any. I may try boiling some Dextrose & water then stirring it in..

tektonjp said:
Looks good, but since you're in the equipment/sanitation section, you might want to have a mod move your thread.
Yeah, I'm not sure how it ended up here! Using the mobile app & didn't realize I guess..? Sorry, I'll try to get it put where it belongs.

I didn't realize the Amber was less fermentables. I should have used some LME then? Or Honey, or Dextrose like your saying. Yeah, my gravity didn't drop any. I may try boiling some Dextrose & water then stirring it in..

Yeah it has crystal malts incorporated into it which are less fermentable. If I do extract I usually just use extra light extract and add flavor, color, etc. with steeping grains.

Adding the dextrose now isn't really going to do much becuase you'll still have all of the unfermentables in there. It will just add alcohol which may drop your gravity a little, but the sweetness will still be the same. The dextrose needs to replace some of the extract in the original recipe to have a good drying out effect.

peterj said:
Yeah it has crystal malts incorporated into it which are less fermentable. If I do extract I usually just use extra light extract and add flavor, color, etc. with steeping grains. Adding the dextrose now isn't really going to do much becuase you'll still have all of the unfermentables in there. It will just add alcohol which may drop your gravity a little, but the sweetness will still be the same. The dextrose needs to replace some of the extract in the original recipe to have a good drying out effect.
Wow, ok. Well, that's why I brewed a smaller batch. I knew I was experimenting with the unknown. You live and learn, part of the fun. Thanks for the advice!

I do think I will try this recipe (minus some of the Amber or crystal malts) again with some tweaking since this beer had good hop characters just way to sweet.

Here's what I did with what was left. Opened the bottles, poured their contents back into a sterile fermenter (ended up around 2/3 gallon).

image-2289751073.jpg

Then I boiled 1 1/2 pound of honey and a half cup pure maple syrup in a pint of water. Topped of my 1 gallon growler/fermenter and sure enough, the yeast took off!

I'll have no idea what my ABV will be now. It was 7.5% then I added a pint of water and 1 1/2# fermentables so..? Any guess'?

What kind of honey? I've found that little sugars present within honey are fermentable. Not sure if the type of honey matters, but I would imagine something 'purer' and thick has less fermentable sugars than a honey that is more processed and liquid-like.

I used the clean, clear clover honey that is on the shelf at the grocery store. The last time I used the same honey was with a brewers best robust porter kit. I was suprised that the beer ended up higher ABV by 1.5% than the kit was supposed to finish. It seemed like the honey fermented completely and even dried out the recipe to a lower FG than expected.

Honey is very fermentable, if you use the right yeast you can end up with a very dry mead with high ABV.

I just have no idea how to calculate my alterations here and that's fine. Just wondered if anyone had a guess.

Latest posts

Back