Imperial dropped in 24h....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanJuanWorm

Beer. Because you can’t drink bacon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks! I pitched on a red ale HB with Flagship. It was a very successful brew, got 20L out of the boil, due to the big sparge.

I checked the carboy tonight and everything has dropped...I mean no airlock action. Yeast is even sitting on the spigot, and fully into the bottom. Perfectly still wort.

Should I hold out for the recipe's recommended 7 days, or transfer now? It's as still as can be.

Spigot.jpg

Last edited:
It could have went through the most active phase, let it ride a couple days more though, often the little amount of yeast still in suspension can chew down the few remaining points even though it looks like nothing is happening. And by transfer, do you mean to secondary or keg/bottle? If it's the latter you should give it some time to clean up and condition.

Should I hold out for the recipe's recommended 7 days, or transfer now? It's as still as can be.

No! give it more time than 7 days. Transfer to what? No secondary is needed and it can't help your beer anyway. Leave the beer where it is for a minimum of 10 days, more preferred.

Have you taken a hydrometer reading? Your fast part of the fermentation may be over....or it may not. Your yeast may have stalled. Only a hydrometer reading will tell.

Checked the hydrometer this morning and I'm 2 points below the forecasted FG. I knew Flagship was going to be fast, but I haven't experienced something like this except when brewing with Voss. The sample looked great and it tasted really good. It's cool and all, but I'm sticking with the recipe on this one, no 'short and shoddy' for me!

Well...I'm down another 2 points (4 total) below the recipe's FG. Hmmm. 1.063 - 1.010 (approx) in 5 days after pitch.
As stated before, I didn’t think Flagship would finish the ‘heavyweight’ action so quickly, but I had fresh grains, a bit of extra nutrient and also luck!
Might sound like fingers on a chalkboard to some, but if it’s still at 1.010 tomorrow (3 days solid) I’m bottling.

I don't bottle just because I hit the FG with stable readings. I also wait till the beer has somewhat the clarity I desire and see some compaction of the yeast and trub at the bottom.

That might take a few weeks more.

Back