Imperial BRIPA partial mash q.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnysoj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I had a question that I was hoping someone could assist me with.
I've been doing all grain for awhile now, I have two 10 gal igloo coolers. one is an HLT and the other is my MLT. Most of the time I only do 7 gallon batches of normal gravity beers. I'm looking to do a 10 gallon Imperial Black Rye IPA, with roughly 30lbs of grain. According to BeerSmith's calculations, I'm going to be at the very max of my MLT.

I want to adjust the recipe to kick down the pale malt by ~11 lbs, and add some DME during the boil. Doing this will put my total volume in the MLT to roughly 8 gallons, and insure I dont spill any.

Does anyone see any issue with this? I've worked out the amount of DME I would need to reach my target OG with the full amount of grain, but I'm wondering if mashing less pale malt would screw something up with the conversion.

This is what I'm working with:
15 lbs (originally 26) Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 47.3 %
4 lbs 3.4 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) 13.3 %
1 lbs 0.3 oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann) 3.2 %
1 lbs 0.3 oz Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) 3.2 %
5.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 1.1 %
5.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 1.1 %
7 lbs (added to make up diff)DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract

I'm working on securing a keggle to do my mashing in so I won't have this issue in the future.
Thanks!

J.

Hello all,
I had a question that I was hoping someone could assist me with.
I've been doing all grain for awhile now, I have two 10 gal igloo coolers. one is an HLT and the other is my MLT. Most of the time I only do 7 gallon batches of normal gravity beers. I'm looking to do a 10 gallon Imperial Black Rye IPA, with roughly 30lbs of grain. According to BeerSmith's calculations, I'm going to be at the very max of my MLT.

I want to adjust the recipe to kick down the pale malt by ~11 lbs, and add some DME during the boil. Doing this will put my total volume in the MLT to roughly 8 gallons, and insure I dont spill any.

Does anyone see any issue with this? I've worked out the amount of DME I would need to reach my target OG with the full amount of grain, but I'm wondering if mashing less pale malt would screw something up with the conversion.

This is what I'm working with:
15 lbs (originally 26) Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 47.3 %
4 lbs 3.4 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) 13.3 %
1 lbs 0.3 oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann) 3.2 %
1 lbs 0.3 oz Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) 3.2 %
5.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 1.1 %
5.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 1.1 %
7 lbs (added to make up diff)DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract

I'm working on securing a keggle to do my mashing in so I won't have this issue in the future.
Thanks!

J.

You will be fine, still plenty of malt for conversion.

Back