Immersion chiller issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have an immersion chiller that I made myself. it is 2 20 foot coils hooked together with an elbow to make a ribcage chiller. It works pretty well getting to pitching temps within 20 minutes most of the time. when I made it I made it to use on my kettles on the kitchen stove that have no pick up tubes or ball valves. Now that I am outside brewing with a keggle the chiller still cools quickly but about half of it sticks out of the wort due to setting on the dip tube.PLUS it could probably be 6-8 inches wider. DO any of you have this issue and how did you remedy it? Can I bend the chiller in a kind of arch to set down over the tube? due to it being a ribcage I can just spread it out to get better width....any ideas?

You could do any of those - I'd try widening the diameter of the coils first and/or pushing them together vertically. If you do try to bench the coils in a arc over the tube, be careful not to kink it.

Back