immersion chiller for 55gal SS drum????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblott1

Reaction score
i recently found a great deal on craigslist for a 55 gallon SS drum with 1" fittings already welded on to it. it came with 2 1/2" copper tubing rolls each 25' long. i'm planning on doing 20-25 gallon batches. i was hoping for some input on how big to make the chiller.

can i get away with only using 25' since its 1/2"? or do i need to use all 50'?
is there a better way than just making a simple coil?

fyi- im just running hose water through it that is about 65 degrees.

thanks for all the help!

At that volume, if you have access to a pump, you'd probably be better off going with a counter flow chiller of some sort. It'd be a helluva lot more efficient than immersion for that volume.

can u make a counterflow with 1/2" copper? is that too big to fit into a standard garden hose?

Why not skip the part about sizes and get a plate chiller. Turn the 25' coil into a pre chiller

i wanna go on the cheap......i know lame.....but sometimes the wallet really looks empty

It seems you can get a 3/4" ID garden hose - that might allow for enough waterflow...

If you don't go that route, I'd definitely use as much copper as you can get your hands on in an immersion chiller - if you cheap out and go with just a 25' chiller in 20-30 gallons of wort, I think you're going to be chilling for a LONG time!

dblott1 said:
i wanna go on the cheap......i know lame.....but sometimes the wallet really looks empty

Plate chiller = ~$90
- one part (zero assembly)
- mountable and inconspicuous
- stainless steel and tough... could potentially last you for as long as you brew

Pump ($30-90), garden hose ($10-30)
- lots of assembly and patience required
- more likely to be worn by weather or damaged by accident
- lets not forget the extra bits and soldering required (extra $20 or so)

So you could save money and make a counter flow from inferior materials that you'll want to replace or will break, or spend the extra couple bucks and get a reliable product

EDIT: Or make a big-ass rib cage immersion chiller but that would be pretty costly as well. I don't think there's such a thing as "cheap" when making 20 gallon batches

true, 20 gallon batches arent cheap.

whats a rib cage chiller? sound pretty cool?

whats a rib cage chiller? sound pretty cool?

Bam! Rib cage

Chiller3.png

WOW!!! that is crazy looking! i notice the 'T' and the bottom. does it come back together at the top? is it supposed to be more efficeint than a regualr immersion chiller?

It is supposed to be more efficient and is usually made for big batches like yours. More surface area means more contact with cold water.

And I'm pretty sure it goes down, hits the "T" and comes back up on either side.... IIRC chillers that move water from the bottom to the top are more efficient.

i have 50' for 1/2" tubing....i bet i could make a monster rib cage chiller. reno, you may have just made my day. i will have to search for threads that talk about the thermodynamics of it

Not to be a downer, but I have a 50ft, 1/2in immersion chiller, and with mid 60's groundwater it can take easily twenty minutes to get to pitching temperature on a 12 gallon batch, and I recirculate the whole time though a whirlpool fitting... 20+ gallons is going to take a long time.

I bought a plate chiller and won't look back...

Back