Imagine post-apocalyptic beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
The yeast we brew with today is the product of hundreds of years of evolution(billions of yeast generations) which is what creates the traditional taste of beer we know today. It is the product of refrigeration and the modern industrial system. Without these props, modern yeast cannot stand for long. Sure, there will always be niche, corner cases where someone makes an ice house and uses a microscope to maintain a viable yeast bank, but the bottom line is that in a non industrial, non electric society modern yeast will be virtually lost.
This is not to say we cannot make beer. Wild yeast and Lambic styles are very popular and rather easy to produce and most importantly don't require temp control or electricity. I don't care for these styles, but only because I've lived in the small bubble of the last 100 years that can create the best of everything on demand. If it was all that I could brew I would probably distill it into liquor.
In a non electric, non industrial lifestyle what kind of brew would you make and how? How would you propagate yeast? What refrigeration techniques would you use, if any? Take into account this is POST-apocalyptic beer so you have access to everything that would be left over; plastic buckets, fancy fermenters, mercury thermometers, brewing knowledge. I'm not saying electricity or leftover propane tanks are impossible but lets assume that we're brewing without dependence on these things.

In the summer it would probably be ales of some sort, unless you have good access to a cave. In the winter in could be lagers. I don't think there was refrigeration in Plzen in 1842 when the first pilsner was brewed. They used the seasonal weather and cellars to control temps.

In a non electric, non industrial lifestyle what kind of brew would you make and how?
I would make the same beers I make now.
How would you propagate yeast?
I would keep making beer, which would inherently propagate yeast.
What refrigeration techniques would you use, if any? Take into account this is POST-apocalyptic beer so you have access to everything that would be left over; plastic buckets, fancy fermenters, mercury thermometers, brewing knowledge. I'm not saying electricity or leftover propane tanks are impossible but lets assume that we're brewing without dependence on these things.
I would use a combination of root cellars, swamp coolers, and the natural cool temperature of rivers to keep my beers and fermentation vessels cold. To boil the beer I would use wood and fire (crazy huh?). I haven't done a whole lot of brewery tours, but two that I've been to already have brewing systems that originated as wood fired kettles and have been converted to gas.

I'm sorry but these are some slow-ball questions. Making beer is probably one of the first things I would do in a post-apocalyptic scenario. If you want to get into sketchy territory talk about surgery or c-section birth.

As far as beer making I'm less concerned about how I'll make the beer, and more concerned about how I will get ingredients. My hop plants have been sucking wind...I would hate to see how barley would fare in my yard.

Kudos on the subject matter though.

Ya I have to agree with teromous. Ingredients would be the hard part. You know us crazy innovative, engineering brewer types, we will get it done like they did thousands of years ago.... I like your thinking though, brings in some important questions.....

As much as I like brewing, in a post-apocalyptic world I would think there would be more important things to worry about. Such as food, shelter and fighting off the hordes. Hobbies go by the wayside when survival is your main goal. Makes me glad we aren't there now. Assuming it all holds together for the weekend, I'm gonna brew my first IPA. Cheers.

Okay, we're going on a supply run. We need water, food, gasoline. We'll hit the abandoned pharmacy - look for any kind of antibiotics and first aid equipment you can find. Then were hitting the Northern Brewer. Grab all the 50lb sacks you can. We need a mill. Get the yeast and the extract. Don't forget the hops. Watch your six, and get in and get out fast.

I donno, post apocalypse and everything is gone to ****s, I don't know if I want to be drunk at all. I have a feeling your wits might be the most important thing you could have in that situation...

I think fermented drinks would be simply for preservation - water would be contaminated and nasty, fermented fruit juice would be microbiologically stable.

Yeast? Ha! It is the is grains that survivors won't have access to.

By the time writing was invented early agrarian cultures had already domesticated grains past the point where they can survive for long in the wild.

Sure somebody out there will have survived and be going about the business of preserving and regenerating seed stocks but what are the odds of it being convenient?

So to earn our place in the horde and not be eaten we will prove our worth with knowledge of brewing and fermentation. After all, what horde doesn't like to settle down with an intoxicating beverage after a long day of pillaging and plundering?

But what to ferment during these new dark ages once all the granaries have been emptied? Fruit from orchards? Who is taking care of the orchard to keep it from getting overgrown? We need items that have a lot of sugar in them for fermenting directly, unless you get something with the right starches and the right enzymes to convert in a mash.

I think fermented drinks would be simply for preservation - water would be contaminated and nasty, fermented fruit juice would be microbiologically stable.

Just boil the water - much less hassle than finding the ingredients and taking the time to brew beer. Folks didn't know about microbiology back when they brewed and drank beer as a safe alternative to water, otherwise I'm sure they'd have figured out that boiling helps to purify it...even if it tastes a little nasty.

Assuming the bees survive, which is assuming a lot, honey would be a nice fermentable that could be foraged for. Mutated zombie bees may put up quite a fight though.

The talk about obtaining grains makes me wonder what kind of brew one could make with steel cut oats IF they had a bunch on hand, maybe add some rice etc.???

Thoughts?

The talk about obtaining grains makes me wonder what kind of brew one could make with steel cut oats IF they had a bunch on hand, maybe add some rice etc.???

Thoughts?

You'd need diastatic power. SO you'd have to chew the oats and let your spit convert the starches...

I'd rather get eaten by zombies.

I think it really does depend on the type of apocalypse that is occurring. If you're going to brew in a post apocalyptic world it has to be the sort where there is some spare food. If you're in a situation where the food supply is (relatively) stable and there will be excess grain, fruit or honey then some sort of brew is fairly easy to do. For sanitation you use boiling water. You can malt your own grains using an oven or a pan on an open fire. Yeast can be acquired on a supply run or cultivated from the air using sugar water, once you have a strain of acceptable yeast you just keep reusing the dregs and keep the yeast in as cool of an area as possible. Hops might be a bit of trouble, but if you can get a rhizome you can cultivate your own, alternatively local herbs and spices can work almost as well for bittering and aroma. Your brew won't taste as good as the stuff from the pre-apocalypse, but it will still be a tasty alcoholic treat after a long day of killing zombies/alien invaders/evil flying ponies/nuclear bunnies.

As much as I like brewing, in a post-apocalyptic world I would think there would be more important things to worry about. Such as food, shelter and fighting off the hordes. Hobbies go by the wayside when survival is your main goal. Makes me glad we aren't there now. Assuming it all holds together for the weekend, I'm gonna brew my first IPA. Cheers.

I don't know that there is much else more important, to be honest. Beer, and alcoholic drinks in general, have acted toward social cohesion for untold centuries. Some scholars believe agriculture, and hence cities, were the cause of beer, not the other way around.

I don't know that there is much else more important, to be honest. Beer, and alcoholic drinks in general, have acted toward social cohesion for untold centuries. Some scholars believe agriculture, and hence cities, were the cause of beer, not the other way around.

You mean caused by, but yes, booze makes the world go 'round.

Latest posts

Back