I'm supposed to pick my wedding attire. What should I wear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garcia

Reaction score
Getting married late this year or early next year. Fiancé already picked out her dress.
So I ask, when are you picking out what I'm going to wear.

She says I have to pick my own. All this time, I was under the impression I had to smile, say yes, and open the checkbook.

I've been the best man/grooms man at about 6-7 weddings. And let me tell you, I cannot be trusted with this. I've been late, worn white socks, forgotten my belt, messed up my tux and had to wear different pants, etc etc.

HELP!!!

It's a trap

It's a trap.jpg

I don't know if this is a serious thread or not, but the best thing I did for my wedding was to do the black suit route. No tux rentals, just told the groomsmen to wear a black suit and white shirt. We provided ties.

Every respectable man should have a black suit and tie. (and that's why some of them had to buy them ;) )

I don't know if this is a serious thread or not, but the best thing I did for my wedding was to do the black suit route. No tux rentals, just told the groomsmen to wear a black suit and white shirt. We provided ties.

Every respectable man should have a black suit and tie. (and that's why some of them had to buy them ;) )

THIS. End of story.

It's bad enough a wedding dress costs $1-3K. (My wife got a deal on her's at $750) but having to rent a tux to wear for 5-6 hours for $200 or more and making your groomsmen drop $200 as well is asinine if you ask me. A Tux is nothing but a glorified suit!

I told my groomsmen to wear a white shirt and a black suit and I provided the matching ties. Everyone matched, I'm the only one who had to buy a new suit (because I didn't have a nice black suit).

I wish I cold answer the question. I hope she was joking around. :-: don't think so though.

Whatever you do. Make sure she approves it well before the week of the wedding! Women FTFO (Freak The F Out) the week of the wedding so you don't want anything you were supposed to do not meet her approval. :mug:

Whatever you do. Make sure she approves it well before the week of the wedding! Women FTFO (Freak The F Out) the week of the wedding so you don't want anything you were supposed to do not meet her approval. :mug:

+1 True story! My wife is calm and generally very laid back. Not that week. I was starting to worry what I got myself into. But after that week... all good again.

Good luck brotha. Whatever you decide, be sure to get her blessing, regardless of what she says now.

The brides maids all wore pink,so we wore burgundy tuxs with the ruffled pink shirts & burgundy bow ties. My jacket was like Andrew Jackson's. I always liked the tails thing. And of course all the flowers you buy to dress up the church go to the church afterward. Gotta have the rings ahead of time too,as they're blessed. (Catholic anyway). And then don't forget the rehearsal dinner. And the beer,champagne,liquor,wash,etc for the reception. And the reception dinner costs by the number of people attending. So make sure you get RSVP's in plenty of time. And the best man generally makes a toast to the new couple,sitting at the table with the rest of the wedding party.

Whatever you do. Make sure she approves it well before the week of the wedding! Some Women FTFO (Freak The F Out) the week of the wedding so you don't want anything you were supposed to do not meet her approval. :mug:

FTFY

OP, if you're serious then describe the venue. If you're on the beach then a black suit is going to suck. If you're in a church, I assume a Tommy Bahama and slacks isn't going to totally cut it.

In truth, if you really thought you wouldn't even have to dress yourself then that's mildly hilarious. I understand that often the wedding is about the bride but you probably have to do just a little more than say yes. :D

In all seriousness, and a bit excited, start telling her about how awesome it's going to be with you dressed as Darth Vader and your groomsmen as Storm Troopers. Or maybe all as hobbits or something else ridiculous, find some pictures on the internet of others who have done it (i'm sure there are). You'll put the ball back in her court real quick.

Failing that, having everyone in suits is a great way to go if you're confident that your groomsmen can handle that. If you have one or two who will just to go to goodwill and pick up a suit for $25, and that's not going to go over well with you or your bride, don't wait for it to happen and just go with tuxes.

Kilt and cowboy boots!

Or just tell her that you have enough to worry about picking and brewing all the beer for the rehearsal, wedding, and reception. Its highly stressful and you just can't deal with the clothes thing. :)

We did the same for ours. Kept it simple, especially since the groomsmen live scattered across the country. Got nice ties for them too.

But agreed that it doesn't make sense for certain weddings.

I'll probably keep it simple. Nothing fancy, although I did want to be carried in a casket to the place. Symbolic, ya know.

How formal is her dress (just ask her how formal it is)? You can rent a tux if you wish from Mens Warehouse for short money. really.

Here's what will happen. You'll pick it out, show it to her, she'll make a face, then she'll go pick out what she likes.

Yup.

My only real demand regarding the tuxes was that we stay the F away from the matching colors with the bridesmaids dresses. A guy in a tux with a black tie (and maybe black vest) is dashing. A guy in a tux with a purple tie/vest looks like a kid on his way to prom in 1993. A colored pocket square is the only splash of color you need.

How formal is her dress (just ask her how formal it is)? You can rent a tux if you wish from Mens Warehouse for short money. really.

That's where I went, and it worked out great. They're nationwide, so it was easy for out-of-town guys to get fitted at their local store AND, since I was the groom, they gave me a choice of a) free tux rental for me or b) $400 toward the purchase of a new suit. Pretty sweet.

OK,well,I did wear the same colors from the tux I wore to my prom in 1975. But the bridesmaids did wear pink,so...we thought black would clash a bit. But purple haze,idk...:drunk:

It's a trap

It might not be! I genuinely didn't care what my husband wore, as long as he showed up. The best man didn't believe me though, and thought it was a trap! Lmao

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back