I'm Paul in South East Asia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moruyapaul

Reaction score
I've been brewing for just over 40 years on and off and there's a lot of relearning here in the tropics that is slightly limited by the ingredients available and being aware of the ambient temperature which is around 30C

I'm working on a couple of projects - a bitter style that can be served cool, an Irish stout and some locally flavoured brews such as ginger and lemon grass

Well....

I tend to use Safale-05 as it doesn't seem to leave any odd tastes with the rather warm fermentation

I rack the beer pretty much as soon as activity has stopped (3-5 days) and add some gelatin to try to get a reasonably clear beer (3-5 days) quickly

Then keg it up and into a home-made keezer

So, the process is accelerated somewhat

The beer can condition slowly - subject to daily QA!

Irish type stouts work well and several lightish ales that taste ok chilled. Heavy hopping helps

The ginger beer is refreshing. Maybe needs to be a bit sharper. I can squeeze some lime in the glass. I'll add some acid blend next time

Well....

I tend to use Safale-05 as it doesn't seem to leave any odd tastes with the rather warm fermentation

I rack the beer pretty much as soon as activity has stopped (3-5 days) and add some gelatin to try to get a reasonably clear beer (3-5 days) quickly

Then keg it up and into a home-made keezer

So, the process is accelerated somewhat

The beer can condition slowly - subject to daily QA!

Irish type stouts work well and several lightish ales that taste ok chilled. Heavy hopping helps

The ginger beer is refreshing. Maybe needs to be a bit sharper. I can squeeze some lime in the glass. I'll add some acid blend next time
Good morning and welcome to the board!

I think kveik was made for you, especially lutra. Do give it a try, it loves higher temperatures and will produce a relatively clean ale type of beer. Should also work very well in a stout.

Otherwise, you can also try saison yeasts, these also love higher temperatures.

I wouldn't want to use any British strain, as they tend to produce fusels when fermented at higher temperatures. Same for most of the other yeasts actually.... I'm surprised that you didn't get the hangover of death from the hot fermented us05.

Welcome, moruyapaul!
the hangover of death from the hot fermented us05.
😲 Never knew it gives that... In my book, US-05 is one of the "warm-tolerant" yeasts, good for summer brewing, and I've always felt free to ferment with it up to 28°C (at the late stages of the fermentation). Love the peach ester it throws out at the higher temps. At lower temperatures, circa 15°C, in this brewhouse it oftentime (not always though) comes out tart, quite similar to S-04.

For bitters in hot climate, I'd suggest trying S-33. It's warm-tolerant as well, in my experience. In hot ambient temps, it doesn't produce much fusels and the esters it does produce are not excessive and are up to the English style.

Last edited:
Welcome, moruyapaul!

😲 Never knew it gives that... In my book, US-05 is one of the "warm-tolerant" yeasts, good for summer brewing, and I've always felt free to ferment with it up to 28°C (at the late stages of the fermentation). Love the peach ester it throws out at the higher temps. At lower temperatures, circa 15°C, in this brewhouse it oftentime (not always though) comes out tart, quite similar to S-04.
You got me wrong, I never tried it myself that hot, i was just assuming it would behave that way! Hence my surprise. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't!

I made some painful experience with other yeasts though... :D

I think kveik was made for you, especially lutra. Do give it a try, it loves higher temperatures and will produce a relatively clean ale type of beer. Should also work very well in a stout.

I wouldn't want to use any British strain, as they tend to produce fusels when fermented at higher temperatures. Same for most of the other yeasts actually.... I'm surprised that you didn't get the hangover of death from the hot fermented us05.
Haha! I've not had a hangover in a while!

I'll shop around for those yeasts - I'm going to brew an ESB soon - probably a partial mash

Welcome, moruyapaul!

For bitters in hot climate, I'd suggest trying S-33. It's warm-tolerant as well, in my experience. In hot ambient temps, it doesn't produce much fusels and the esters it does produce are not excessive and are up to the English style.
Thanks for that. I'll try this yeast too

It's about 34C in the brewery today

That's cool. I'm in Hua Hin.

Waiting anxiously for the new brewing legislation to pass

I shall then look into what is involved in a brew pub!

That's cool. I'm in Hua Hin.

Waiting anxiously for the new brewing legislation to pass

I shall then look into what is involved in a brew pub!
I'm just a small scale home brewer for myself and a few friends
Am trying a No Hop IPA on Tuesday - and yes you did read the right LOL

It's about 34C in the brewery today

That's a great temp for some styles!
I too live now in a climate very hot in summer (though, winters are cold enough for Lagering) and I have no easy access to liquid yeasts.
Every year I anticipate the coming of summer heat to brew my favourite hot-loving styles.
Here's a short list of yeasts I employ in summer:

- Mangrove Jack's M29 French Saison. In my opinion, it's the best of dry Saison yeasts, and the best Saisons I made with it were fermented above 30C. 34C would be ideal. Lalbrew Belle Saison is similar but is more acidic and less phenolic.

- Mangrove Jack's M41 Belgian Ale. My another favourite hot-loving yeast. I avoid fermenting with it at lower than 28C. Higher than 30C - and you have a garden of great esters and phenols and a lot of very clean (not solventy or fusel) alcohol.

- Lalbrew Voss Kveik is the most heat-tolerant of all dry yeasts. Lower than 30C, and it will taste pretty bland. Around 40, it produces some tasty orangey goodness. During a hellish week-long heatwave last summer, I made an amazing SMaSH "Heatwave Imperial Pils" with it at 38C, which my friends still rave about.

- Mangrove Jack's M10 Workhorse and Fermentis S-33, which are very closely related strains. Great subdued ester profile, not excessive or solventy even when fermented around 28C. The only caveat is that they flocculate very poorly at higher temps. If you don't mind more or less of haze in your beer, try them.

- Weizen yeasts, like Lalbrew Munich Classic and Mangrove Jack's M20 Bavarian Wheat. They are inferior to liquid Weizen yeasts when producing clovey phenols at lower temps, but they're on par or better in regard of throwing banana esters at high temps. I tried them up to 28C and was happy. Mangrove Jack's M21 Belgian Wit works quite similarly, with the difference that the increase in ambient temperature coaxes it to produce more phenols rather than switching from phenols to bananas (like both German Weizen yeasts do). Not impressed too much with M21 performance though.

- Fermentis T-58 also tolerates high temperarures very well. When fermented between 28 and 32C, it behaves similar to S-33 in that it poorly flocculates and to M20 in its rich banana profile. It throws more fusels than both those yeasts.

- Fermentis US-05. A great yeast to make clean lager-like beers at low temps. I like it more at 26-28C however, when it produces a very pleasant peach ester.

- Mangrove Jack's M54 Californian Lager. It's related to US-05 and behaves similarly: very clean lager-like fermnettation at as low as 12C and nice fruity esters at 27-29C. Unlike in US-05, the esters are mostly pear rather than peach. No detectable fusels. I like it more than US-05.

- I'm sure that Mangrove Jack's M31 Belgian Tripel also would work perfectly at very high temps. Haven't tried it though, as I don't like this yeast altogether and don't have it anymore. I expect also that Mangrove Jack's M47 Belgian Abbey might be very good when fermented hot. Haven't tried fermenting it higher than 22C yet, will try to do that this summer.

- A new yeast from Lallemand, Lalbrew Farmhouse is said to be very heat-tolerant. Can't confirm it, as I haven't yet opened my first sachet of this yeast. Will try it as soon as a heatwave strikes.

Last edited:
I too live now in a climate very hot in summer (though, winters are cold enough for Lagering) and I have no easy access to liquid yeasts.
Every year I anticipate the coming of summer heat to brew my favourite hot-loving styles.
May I suggest a fermentation fridge so whatever the temp is there is not a problem? This is what I use so there are no yeasts that cannot be used – the one I’m using more than any other is the Verdant IPA

As Paul mentioned here in Thailand it can be warm year round, now a pleasant 34 but it can go far higher in the hot months e.g. April so a fridge is a must

I'd be struggling a bit for space - I have a big fridge and a keezer already.

I'll keep an eye open for a bargain!

- Mangrove Jack's M29 French Saison. In my opinion, it's the best of dry Saison yeasts, and the best Saisons I made with it were fermented above 30C. 34C would be ideal. Lalbrew Belle Saison is similar but is more acidic and less phenolic.

- Mangrove Jack's M41 Belgian Ale. My another favourite hot-loving yeast. I avoid fermenting with it at lower than 28C. Higher than 30C - and you have a garden of great esters and phenols and a lot of very clean (not solventy or fusel) alcohol.

- Lalbrew Voss Kveik is the most heat-tolerant of all dry yeasts. Lower than 30C, and it will taste pretty bland. Around 40, it produces some tasty orangey goodness. During a hellish week-long heatwave last summer, I made an amazing SMaSH "Heatwave Imperial Pils" with it at 38C, which my friends still rave about.

- Mangrove Jack's M10 Workhorse and Fermentis S-33, which are very closely related strains. Great subdued ester profile, not excessive or solventy even when fermented around 28C. The only caveat is that they flocculate very poorly at higher temps. If you don't mind more or less of haze in your beer, try them.

- Weizen yeasts, like Lalbrew Munich Classic and Mangrove Jack's M20 Bavarian Wheat. They are inferior to liquid Weizen yeasts when producing clovey phenols at lower temps, but they're on par or better in regard of throwing banana esters at high temps. I tried them up to 28C and was happy. Mangrove Jack's M21 Belgian Wit works quite similarly, with the difference that the increase in ambient temperature coaxes it to produce more phenols rather than switching from phenols to bananas (like both German Weizen yeasts do). Not impressed too much with M21 performance though.

- Fermentis T-58 also tolerates high temperarures very well. When fermented between 28 and 32C, it behaves similar to S-33 in that it poorly flocculates and to M20 in its rich banana profile. It throws more fusels than both those yeasts.

- Fermentis US-05. A great yeast to make clean lager-like beers at low temps. I like it more at 26-28C however, when it produces a very pleasant peach ester.

- Mangrove Jack's M54 Californian Lager. It's related to US-05 and behaves similarly: very clean lager-like fermnettation at as low as 12C and nice fruity esters at 27-29C. Unlike in US-05, the esters are mostly pear rather than peach. No detectable fusels. I like it more than US-05.

- I'm sure that Mangrove Jack's M31 Belgian Tripel also would work perfectly at very high temps. Haven't tried it though, as I don't like this yeast altogether and don't have it anymore. I expect also that Mangrove Jack's M47 Belgian Abbey might be very good when fermented hot. Haven't tried fermenting it higher than 22C yet, will try to do that this summer.

- A new yeast from Lallemand, Lalbrew Farmhouse is said to be very heat-tolerant. Can't confirm it, as I haven't yet opened my first sachet of this yeast. Will try it as soon as a heatwave strikes.
That's a very helpful list

What kind of beers do you brew?

I'm just a small scale home brewer for myself and a few friends
Am trying a No Hop IPA on Tuesday - and yes you did read the right LOL
I have done a few beers with no hops.

A 2kg DME, 20L, with 1.5 kg sliced ginger worked real well

And I intend to try a lemon grass brew

I brew almost every kind of beers. Sometimes I invent and brew my own new styles.
I do small 1.5G / 5.5L batches, so a different style is brewed every week. Which greatly expands the experience.
For brewing in summer heat, the best styles, I think, are Saisons, Belgian Strong Ales and Kveiks.
On a hot desert island, with the only style to brew till the end of my life with the only yeast strain available, I'd brew Belgian Strong Ales. They are the best beers to brew in heat and must be fermented hot. They're better than Saisons and Kveiks, and much better that any other beers that could be fermented hot.

I brew almost every kind of beers. Sometimes I invent and brew my own new styles.
I do small 1.5G / 5.5L batches, so a different style is brewed every week. Which greatly expands the experience.
For brewing in summer heat, the best styles, I think, are Saisons, Belgian Strong Ales and Kveiks.
On a hot desert island, with the only style to brew till the end of my life with the only yeast strain available, I'd brew Belgian Strong Ales. They are the best beers to brew in heat and must be fermented hot. They're better than Saisons and Kveiks, and much better that any other beers that could be fermented hot.
I shall investigate

Man! You were brave trying all those yeasts at these higher temperatures! After my one or two hangover batches, I am very much afraid of going that high with yeasts that I do not know about if they can take it.

LOL
I've had an instance of a bad and instant hangover from a hot-fermented beer: it was a clone of a low-gravity Spotted Cow Cream Ale, fermented with US-05.
The experience never repeated, even though I fermented US-05 hot in several more recipes. That's why I'm sure the culprit was not the yeast but rather a massive addition of corn. Because I've had similar (though not as intensive) experiences with my Maize Tripel, fermented hot with M41 (which with diffrerent grists never gives me hangovers even at 12ABV fermented at 32C) and a historical Scottish Mild with a significant corn addition and warm (not hot!) fermented M15.
I think there might be just something about fermenting corn at high temps with any yeast, so I avoid addind a lot of it to my summer recipes from then on.
Otherwise, I'm happy with how all those yeasts I listed perform in summer. All of them (except M54 and S-33) have higher-than-average fermentation temperature ranges in manufacturers' specifications, so they are, essentially, proved to be suitable for summer brewing.

Last edited:
LOL
I've had an instance of a bad and instant hangover from a hot-fermented beer: it was a clone of a low-gravity Spotted Cow Cream Ale, fermented with US-05.
The experience never repeated, even though I fermented US-05 hot in several more recipes. That's why I'm sure the culprit was not the yeast but rather a massive addition of corn. Because I've had similar (though not as intensive) experiences with my Maize Tripel, fermented hot with M41 (which with diffrerent grists never gives me hangovers even at 12ABV fermented at 32C) and a historical Scottish Mild with a significant corn addition and warm (not hot!) fermented M15.
I think there might be just something about fermenting corn at high temps with any yeast, so I avoid addind a lot of it to my summer recipes from then on.
Otherwise, I'm happy with how all those yeasts I listed perform in summer. All of them (except M54 and S-33) have higher-than-average fermentation temperature ranges in manufacturers' specifications, so they are, essentially, proved to be suitable for summer brewing.
Did you also use sometimes different adjuncts, like sugar or rice? Did they behave the same way as the corn did?

For adjuncts, in my hot-fermented beers I often use sugar, sometimes up to 20%. Never have had hangover issues with it. I may recall cidery or solventy flavours that sometimes were a problem, but with certain brands of beet sugar they come up at whatever fermentation temperature so I think that depends of the quality of sugar rather than of hot fermentation. Also I used raw wheat and never noticed anything special about it. Don't know how other unmalted grains (like rice, rye or barley) behave at high temps: I haven't used them yet in my summer recipes.

Following on from your suggestion, I've used Kveik Lutra Omega on a couple of brews and been amazed at how voraciously it chews through the fermentables.

A pilsener, an IPA and now a strong ale on the way.

No funny tastes at all

It does what it says it can do

M31 works fine in the heat with no or limited temp control.
M47 is about ready to bottle, will report back.
M29 is a winner, but not real hot here yet.
I did something similar to you: looked at my favourite beer style, then went looking for yeast that work at higher temperatures.
Not much choice here, only commercial lagers and one company with amber ale, wit bier (not nice) and something else I was not impressed
with. So, not difficult to brew something better :)
My fermenters are in a non working chest freezer, just to deal with temperature fluctuations

This summer when temps rose up to 35С I went for a Saison and Kveik spree.
5 Saisons, each with different dry yeast (M29, M31, BE-134, Lalbrew Belle Saison, Gozdawa Noble Saison) and 6 different Dark Rye Kveiks with Voss and Hornindal.
Also, two Belgian Strongs with M41, Dark and Golden.

Who said there's nothing to brew in summer? :D

This summer when temps rose up to 35С I went for a Saison and Kveik spree.
5 Saisons, each with different dry yeast (M29, M31, BE-134, Lalbrew Belle Saison, Gozdawa Noble Saison) and 6 different Dark Rye Kveiks with Voss and Hornindal.
Also, two Belgian Strongs with M41, Dark and Golden.

Who said there's nothing to brew in summer? :D
Which one was your favourite dry saison yeast? Which one was the most expressive? Which one had the most lemon/pepper?

I'll post here a report when all my Saisons are ready!
For the moment, just a single batch is ready to drink, M29. It's my favourite Saison yeast so I brewed it earlier than the rest. After some 6 weeks I hope to have them all ready so I could share the tasting notes.

In the M29 batch I messed up a.bit the bittering part (stupidly combined untreated alkaline tap water with high-cohumulone hops which imparts a harsher bitterness) but the yeast worked perfectly. Will see how it compares to other strains.

Forgot to report back on hot fermented M47:
89% pilsner malt / 5.5 % aroma malt / 5.5 % wheat malt (hops: styrian & saaz)
Not bad at all. Nice beer to drink. No weird off flavours

Next M47 is still in fermenter, in non working chest freezer (acts as coolbox to level outday/night temps).
This one is a 100% pilsner malt on old trub, styrian & saaz as hop

Which one was your favourite dry saison yeast? Which one was the most expressive? Which one had the most lemon/pepper?
Well, now that my Saison collection is ready to drink and has been thoroughly tasted I can answer your questions.

So, the Protos Saison Collection 2022 includes the next batches:
M29 - Peated Rye Saison, own recipe (40% Chateau Peated Malt 5 ppm phenols, 20% Rye Malt).
- the most expressive yeast, as always. Perfect balance of Phenols and Esters, moderate tartness. That could be the best Saison of all six if I brewed it with boiled water. I foolishly used non-treated hard alcaline water however. Combined with high-cohumulone South African hops, it produced very unpleasant and harsh bitterness. From my previous experiences I know that harshness won't go away with time. Will have to drink this batch up somehow. Surprisingly, Peat flavour is non-existent - it didn't came through the violent fermentation.

BE-134 - Peated Rye Saison, own recipe (same grist as above)
BE-134 - Saison d'Epeautre clone (33% unmalted Spelt)
- the most Peppery one. Peppery and Clovey, I liked it a lot. Didn't notice much Esters, the nose is predominantly Phenolic, which is great. The best Saisons I brewed this summer. Boiled water used, no hop harshness issues. Unlike M29, BE-134 let some Peat flavour come through. Just a bit, to complement the Saisony Phenolics with Peaty Phenolics, neither being overwhelming. That's the effect I was hoping for. A successful experiment, will make Peaty Saison again, with BE-134 and with Scottish Peated Malt. Spelt Saison came out great as well. Finally I got what the effect of Spelt is all about: it's very much like Wheat but without that wheaty tartness, which I often find excessive in an already tart beer such as Saison. From now, I will use Spelt instead of Wheat in my Saisons.

Lalbrew Belle Saison - Saison Bouffoon, from Mosher's Radical Brewing (spiced).
- the most Lemony one. Estery/Phenolic flavours are very close to M29 (which is not a surprise) but the beer is way more acidic, which is consistent with my previous experiences from this yeast. All Saisons are more or less tart, but this one is too much acidic to my taste, up to not being pleasant. Didn't like it. The spices (Sweet Orange Peel, Indian Coriander, Allspice and Clove) are totally muted, not distinguishable at all.

M31 - Saison de Pipaix Clone (spiced)
- good balance of subtle Esters and Phenols, although I'd prefer a bit more Phenols in a Saison. Nice beer, though not a real Saison: too little Phenols to be called a real one. Last year, when I made a Karmeliet Tripel clone with it, it was otherwise: "not a real Tripel, too Saisony" to me. Good yeast but I still haven't found the right style to use it with. Added quite a bit of spices to the wort, following the recipe: Bitter and Sweet Orange Peel, Black Pepper (0.5 g/L), Ginger, Anise. The fresh wort came out so peppery hot I thought the batch was certainly a dumper. Bottle maturation mellowed it greatly, however. I like the lingering peppery note now. The rest of the spices are gone completely.

Gozdawa Noble Saison - failed batch. There was a hard-to-notice microcrack in the plastic fermenter so the freshly inoculated beer leaked out overnight on the floor. Hope to repeat this beer the next summer.

Last edited:
Back