I'm not really a beer snob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbeersnob

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while, but thought it was time to write a brief intro.

I started homebrewing on 11/11/11. Just brewed batch 32 last weekend. I built a 6 tap keezer in January, then added a Nitro tank in March just in time for my annual St Patricks day party. All-grain brewer. Batch sparger. I only brew ales currently--mostly of <1.060 OG. Mostly. I don't have the patience to brew a lager.

My username comes from 1999. I did not like beer. I was in NJ on business when I saw a guy order a glass of black beer. I was intrigued. I gave it a try and fell in love. My friends started calling me a beer snob, because I would only drink craft and import beer. I embraced it and it stuck. Unfortunately "beer snob" or "beer geek" mean something today that I never imagined 14 years ago.

Interesting that since that fateful day in 1999, I have been to Dublin a few times and cannot bring myself to drink Guinness in the US. Simply not as good.

I'm with you, man! From the time I started drinking beer growing up in KS all we ever drank was the nasty bud light or miller lite or, worst of all, Natty Light. When I would show up at a party with Budweiser, I caught crap for drinking snobby beer!

After living in Germany for three years I gained an appreciation for a wider world of beers, now I'm definitely a beer snob to my friends when I go home to KS. But you are spot on, Guiness in the States doesn't hold a candle to what you get in Dublin.

BTW, what part of KS are you from?

After living in Germany for three years I gained an appreciation for a wider world of beers, now I'm definitely a beer snob to my friends when I go home to KS. But you are spot on, Guiness in the States doesn't hold a candle to what you get in Dublin.

BTW, what part of KS are you from?
I've lived in various cities in Johnson County since 1988. It's nice to live so close to the border with MO, because I can get easy access to beer that's not available in KS (e.g., Founders and Bells). Although I've really cut back on commercial beer...mainly because I brew more than I can drink as it is.

My sister lived in Wyandotte county for several years, but I can't remember exactly where now. They all live down by where we all grew up, near Pittsburg.

I always thought Boulevard made a decent beer, that was kinda local!

Back