I'm not getting the yeast starter concept?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulietKilo

Reaction score
I recently made a few starters in flasks just as they say to do, for a couple high gravity beers as is recommended. Yet I don't fully understand why?

I do of course get that the starter is a "mini wort" meant to multiply the yeast. But it's just being pitched into a big wart in the fermenter of the same properties to multiply there right? So why doesn't it multiply just as well in the big wart regardless of having got started in a mini one or not? What's different in the starter than the final wort? Hope that makes sense...

It's because the yeast has to lower the pH of the wort before it can properly start taking up nutrients. If there's a large wort-to-yeast ratio, that is a more difficult task.

There's an excellent explanation here:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_pH_affects_brewing#Nutrient_uptake_by_yeast

Interesting. So is pH the best way to know if ones starter is ready to pitch? Not knowing what to look for I took mine off the stir plate and pitched after 12 hrs because I saw some foam develop on top and figured that was good enough.

I think I get what you're asking, but I may be reading it wrong.

From my limited understanding, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but there are several reasons to do a starter. The obvious one is that you want an adequate number of cells to do the job of fermentation! However, yeast health and cell wall strength comes into play as well. Therefore, you want healthy cells with strong cell walls, and I believe this to be the main reason of a starter. Sure, like you said, the yeast will multiply with direct pitching but the wort doesn't necessarily have the needed nutrients/02 to allow for that level of healthy development of cells with strong cellular walls. A starter will help build up your numbers/health/strength of your yeast. Kind of like strength and endurance training...

That's not exactly how I understood the explanation at Braukaiser. I think the author there is saying that yeast does well in a low-pH environment, and yeast is able to lower the pH of the wort itself. However, if there is lots of wort and not very much yeast, there isn't enough yeast to be able to bring the pH down quickly at the start of fermentation, so the yeast becomes stressed and you get a poor fermentation.

I tend to leave my starters until after the foam has subsided. I notice that after a couple of days, the appearance of the stirred starter beer usually changes quite dramatically, going from translucent and only slightly murky to something completely opaque. I then let it settle out into a thick layer of yeast, whereupon the starter beer goes back to being translucent. The liquid above the yeast either goes down the sink or is drunk, depending how good it tastes.

It's an interesting point though. If the Braukaiser explanation is the full story, it suggests that you could artificially lower the pH of the wort before pitching and get away with using a much smaller starter. I have no idea whether that would work or if anyone has done it.

There are a number of good reasons to do make a starter and I'll go through them as an abridged and extended version.

-Healthy yeast count
-Build necessary resources in the yeast to handle a wort

Some yeast in a pack you buy may be dead or at least weakened from its handling or age before you got them in your possession. You can outnumber the dead or weak ones by making a starter. A big beer will need more yeast in it than a smaller beer and we will get to that. This process will get you to the appropriate numbers.

Saccharomyces will put up with anaerobic environments but they would prefer to have access to oxygen. Their metabolism of sugar into usable energy yields at least 8 times more in the presence of oxygen than fermentation. The starter gives them the ability to eat down the sugars, build up energy (in the form of a phosphate compound called ATP), make glycogen (an energy bank), and build sterols critical to cell budding when you go anaerobic.

Your question regarding why it's needed because you are throwing them in a beer anyway is one I shared at one point as well. The answer as far as I've learned since is that the two conditions are very different. First there's oxygen, which we covered. Second, the starter gravity is very low. This is important because wort is very stressful on yeast. Osmotic pressure is created when the cells need to retain the water inside them but the density of wort around them pulls to create an equilibrium. They have to put in energy to just survive in a wort.

Lastly, there are far more cells per unit of volume in a starter compared to a batch of beer. Flocculation is a complicated process that is not well-understood but being able to bind with another yeast cell allows the culture to migrate around the wort and therefore munch through your beer efficiently. If you have too few cells that are in their prime you run the risk of a stalled fermentation, especially with high gravity brews.

Since others have mentioned keeping your starter going after high krausen, I'll chime in here too. I generally also let the yeast finish out in the flask before I chill and decant off the spent wort on brew day. The reason for this is when they are finishing up, they fill their glycogen banks that will get them through whatever fermentation you throw at them (within reason). I do pull cultures at high krausen however when I am keg conditioning.

When making starters, keep in mind yeast nutrient is important but doesn't cover all the needs of your yeast. They need vitamins and minerals not found in diammonium phosphate. I have taken to boiling 0.2-0.5 grams of dry yeast in the starter to add zinc and vitamin B's but you can buy products that do the same often sold as "energizers". I add both nutrient and energizer to starter and kettle.

You can easily swirl up a smaller starter to get more oxygen into solution, which helps build strong cell walls.

Also there is the issue of osmotic pressure. Yeast actually like a low gravity environment because it doesn't stress their cell walls and membranes as much as a medium or high gravity environment.

So you are trying to create a more ideal environment for your yeasts to grow, divide, and create a large population of healthy cells. Strong wort works, but isn't the best environment.

Back