I'm looking for a recipe for a full-bodied, citrus, bitter, IPA with lots of hop flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a proven recipe? I would like it to be slightly sweet. I've had commercial beers like Swamp Head's Big Nose, for example, that has so much flavor along with the bitterness that makes it so yummy. I'd like to make something like it.

I guess what I'm describing is a citrus/grapefruit West Coast IPA?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Another example of what I'm looking for is something like Elysian's Space Dust.

Check out my thread on Luponic distortion IPA. I leaned towards this IPA . It turned out really good . I may change out the Munich for Vienna just to see the difference in the two.

Something that I've found works really well is to keep your brain bill super simple. I've mashed a little on the high end with 100% Vienna malt with excellent results.

Check out my thread on Luponic distortion IPA. I leaned towards this IPA . It turned out really good . I may change out the Munich for Vienna just to see the difference in the two.
I'll check it out. Luponic is close to Space Dust?

Any input on this recipe:

14.4 lb 2-Row
.5 lb C15
.25 lb Carapils

1 oz Chinook @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 10
.5 oz Citra @ 10
1 oz Amarillo @ 5
.75 oz Citra @ 5
2 oz Amarillo @ FO
1.25 oz Citra @ FO

Dryhop 1 oz Amarillo 7 days
Dryhop 2 oz Citra 7 Days

I dont see anything wrong with that . Brew it and let us know . I like the hops you chose .
Do you think it will give me what I'm looking for? I'm wondering if I should double the Chinook bittering hops to 2 oz.

How many ibu are you shooting for ?
It's hard to say because I'm having trouble imagining how much residual sugar this will have, especially if I mash on the high side.

I just want it to be noticeably bitter and at the same time a bit sweet as well.

Last edited:
What is your mash temp? This might be something you split up and experiment with. I would go by what flavor , ibu and body style, dry ect... and go from there.

What is your mash temp? This might be something you split up and experiment with. I would go by what flavor , ibu and body style, dry ect... and go from there.
I'm thinking like 154F. I think the late addition and dry hops I'm using will get me the citrus I'm looking for. Maybe I'll great a new post to see what people think about the difference between 1 or 2 oz of Chinook.

I used magnum for my bittering hop which has roughly thr same AA as chinook. I used .75 oz and it gave me approx 27 ibu points. I'm thinking 2 oz of chinook would be too much imo.

I used magnum for my bittering hop which has roughly thr same AA as chinook. I used .75 oz and it gave me approx 27 ibu points. I'm thinking 2 oz of chinook would be too much imo.
Ok cool, I'll stick to 1oz.. I'll just YOLO it lol

Amarillo and Citra is a killer combo. You could also look into using warrior for bittering. Super high alpha, great bang for your buck. Magnum is also one of my favorites. You can probably omit the carapils, modern malts don't really benefit from it.

Amarillo and Citra is a killer combo. You could also look into using warrior for bittering. Super high alpha, great bang for your buck. Magnum is also one of my favorites. You can probably omit the carapils, modern malts don't really benefit from it.
Should I replace it with the crystal malt?

I like.magnum but it's an attenuated bitter. However it's pretty smooth. Maybe I'll use that instead. How much magnum should I use instead of the 1oz of Chinook?

@urg8rb8

I mean you could replace it with either crystal malt or base malt. At those amounts it won't really change anything.

Magnum and Chinook are roughly the same alpha wise so you can pretty much use them in a 1:1 substitution.

Back