I'm just here for the kombucha!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geebob

Reaction score
I never heard of kombucha until recently my 20-some yr old granddaughter chatted with me from
Estonia where she's living and asked me to make a scoby with her. So she started one and I started one on 4/27 after doing some research . It looks like it's doing ok. My question is can/should I use some of the tea from making the scoby as starter for my 1st fer. or would it be better to buy some new raw?

Hi, welcome!

I'm going to get a little technical...

A kombucha SCOBY isn't "made". A SCOBY is "propagated"... So either you purchased a SCOBY online, got the culture from a friend, or you're growing the culture from a commercial kombucha.

By making a starter, you're increasing the number of microbes. You should use all of these microbes (the entire starter) when making your first batch, assuming the starter looks and tastes good.

Thanks, RPh_Guy
So, when my SCOBY has formed I should use the entire half gallon starter with SCOBY plus a half gallon sweet tea for my first batch. Is that what you're saying?

Yes, at least half of it. Adding some tea helps lower the pH, which is beneficial to prevent growth of unwanted microbes.

The solid film that forms is actually called a pellicle.

"SCOBY" refers to the microbes present throughout the pellicle and the tea. The sediment at the bottom is also the SCOBY.

Cheers

Thanks, That's the info I needed. Wish me luck!
Actually, pellicle is a familiar term to me from hot smoking salmon. a tacky film that formed after the brine was washed off and dried for a couple hours that the smoke adhered to.

Back