I'm Creating a Reality Show about Home Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing all reality shows have in common is drama, created or otherwise.

Deadliest Catch: Are they going to get their quota in time? Will people die?

Counting Cars: Can we finish the build on time? Will the customer like it?

Alaska Bush People: Will we solve the problem in time? Get stocked up in time for winter? Build the house before the snow flies?

Bar Rescue: can we fix this, given the terribly inept owners and sometimes employees? We only have a few days!

American Pickers: Will this pick work out? Will we break even? Is the item we bought worth a lot or nothing?

Pawn Stars: Is the item real? Will the expert validate it? How will negotiations go?

I'm sure you know this, so the question is, how will you create drama? New recipes that we don't know will work out correctly? Brewing on a deadline? Equipment breakdowns? The competition part is useful, but in the end, you need to build drama.

Maybe in each episode you follow 3 brewers: A newbie, an experienced craft brewer w/ a tap room from which they sell, and a brewer creating brews for competition.

Newbie: will he forget to amend his/her water? Forget to sanitize something? Boil too short a time? Screw up the mash? Will friends like the resulting brew? Bottling or kegging?

Experienced w/ Taproom: Can he develop a new recipe that will make money? is he keeping fermenters full? What about mistakes?

Competition brewer: What's he brewing and why? What mistakes has he made in the past he's trying to correct now? How is he tweaking a recipe to get him past the hump to a win?

In each case, you have an outcome to address whether the brewer succeeded or not, and plenty of possible mistakes (OMG, I dropped my unsanitized yeast packet into the chilled wort!).

Think of the infections you could show!

This is good stuff, I agree. The question, why invest our time? Great ideas so far.....drama, competition (like brewers getting ready for big comps, and 3 vs 3 like chopped), educational, brew masters, etc. Kind of like a podcast but more engaging with video.

Ill create some drama for you with my brew philosophies :). Best of luck I'll watch.

#3 I don't care about competitions of any sort when it comes to food and drink. To subjective, everyone's taste buds are different. Known a lot of home brewers throughout the years never known one to enter competitions.

This is good stuff, I agree. The question, why invest our time? Great ideas so far.....drama, competition (like brewers getting ready for big comps, and 3 vs 3 like chopped), educational, brew masters, etc. Kind of like a podcast but more engaging with video.

Ill create some drama for you with my brew philosophies :). Best of luck I'll watch.

I've decided to go with option three. Building a show on people trying to get their dream brewery open.

By following people getting all their permits, and showing their stories, those people get a lot of great publicity and the public's product recognition. That helps them brand and market their brew.

I also want to bring attention to the stupid Federal and state laws preventing brewers from opening a brewery or a someone starting a professional distillery. It's time for a change. These antique laws need changing. Pot can be legally grown and sold and still alcoholic beverages can't be made.

I think the show will showcase brewers of all levels with the people trying to get their brewery going as the framework/ skeleton on the show.

Mostly I I'll run the show like Andrew Bourdain. Talk about recipes, techniques and the like. Maybe impromptu local competitions for fun. And all things like the who, what, when, where, why and how people get into home brewing.

I'm very excited about doing this. A lot of good people out there deserve recognition. The science of brewing is very important. Let's make science fun!

Hope that answers most questions. Thanks again for asking.

I like it! Can't wait! It would be cool to have a "Newbie" segment that highlights the most common rookie mistakes and what we can do to avoid them. I also like to know what type of beer pairs well with what food. Anyway, anything you come up with, I'm sure it would be great! Good luck!

Also even on top of a reality type show, a documentary. I know there were some guys in the works doing a pipe smoking documentary called father the flame that looks great! It's an art just as much as homebrewing. But like others have said there are so many ways this could work and captivate an audience! I can't wait to see how it progresses. Keep us updated!

Mystikty,
I think so too.These are some great ideas to consider for the show. Thanks.
Mike

I like it! Can't wait! It would be cool to have a "Newbie" segment that highlights the most common rookie mistakes and what we can do to avoid them. I also like to know what type of beer pairs well with what food. Anyway, anything you come up with, I'm sure it would be great! Good luck!

davisc1513, I can do a documentary quicker than waiting on a network. Average of two years for a network to bring a show to market. I think maybe a mini series with a mix of documentary and reality show put together would be excellent. Get it completed and to market fast while having a completed project for the networks. That helped me shake out the cobwebs of the brain and get me excited about the project. Thanks brother.
Mike

Also even on top of a reality type show, a documentary. I know there were some guys in the works doing a pipe smoking documentary called father the flame that looks great! It's an art just as much as homebrewing. But like others have said there are so many ways this could work and captivate an audience! I can't wait to see how it progresses. Keep us updated!

:). I have never watched a reality show and prob never will. Even one about brewing and I really like brewing. I have read about reality shows here and there. I would read about your show if this thread stays active. You guys really should consider blowing up your TV's. Unless Barca is playing R Madrid

Hmm...i mean, i'd watch a sitcom about several bachelors living in an apartment in new york, one of whom happens to be a homebrewer. i think the only part of that idea that hasnt been done is the homebrewing part, :9 best of luck!

I've only been interested in one reality show on TV so far ... the others, well ... I seem to think some of the personal drama was contrived.
The ONLY "reality" show I bothered to sit and watch episode for episode was "Forged in Fire".
No so-called celebrities on there, just hard-working steelsmiths in creative timed competitions making craft weapons by hand.

:). I have never watched a reality show and prob never will. Even one about brewing and I really like brewing. I have read about reality shows here and there. I would read about your show if this thread stays active. You guys really should consider blowing up your TV's. Unless Barca is playing R Madrid

Thanks for your unsolicited judgement.

And...soccer sucks ;)

I used to work in TV, but now I can't stand to watch TV shows. Most "reality" TV has absolutely nothing to do with reality at all.
Homebrewing is a somewhat nerdy topic, similar to computer nerds.
Is there a mass market for a TV show about homebrewing? I doubt it.
Any "drama" about home brewing competitions will be totally fake, and I just don't think there aren't enough people interested in what you can brew with a surprise basket of ingredients. Most TV viewers don't even know what malt is.
But I didn't think a fake show about of clan Louisiana swamp rednecks would last either. I'm also astonished that a no-talent like Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton can be an actual celebrity.
So I'm usually wrong about what people like.
But go ahead and make a pilot to illustrate your concept and shop it around. But instead of watching TV, I'll probably be doing my own brewing or something outside. Good Luck.

CGVT is obviously a soccer fan. He immediately got the Barcelona and Real Madrid abbreviations. He just can't admit to liking a game that requires skill, conditioning and brains. It's an Alabama thing.

It can't be reality once the people being filmed know that the cameras are there.
All the current reality shows fake all the "drama", use producers, script writers and plot and audience consultants. The only real reality series are shows like "COPS" and "LOCKUP"; no scripts, but they shoot hundreds or even thousands hours of material to make a one hour show. The show looks like there is action all the time but in reality there is 99.9% boredom and very little going on worth putting on TV. So even "COPS" stretches reality.

I can't see myself watching a beer brewing competition reality show per say, but I probably would watch a home brewer version of Beer Geeks. It could start on a trip to the LHBS with some instruction about the ingredients to be used in a batch of the home brewer's best recipe, then a brew session with a discussion of the home brewer's brew philosophy and a tasting of a previous batch, and end with a trip to the home brewer's favorite local watering hole.
You'd have to feature outgoing home brewers with lots of personality. I'd recommend Denny for the pilot.

Latest posts

Back