Im back..finally got a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loki993

Reaction score
I registered on here a couple years ago to see what was what..I was all ready to get started but never bought a kit. This and that happened and I just never got around to getting one. So finally after a year of talking about it my girlfriend, best ever BTW, Got one for me. 5 Gallon Brewers best kit so I'm all set now and have no excuses..shes expecting beer lol.

So I guess what Im trying to figure out is what to start with. Im thinking an IPA or a Stout because those are the easiest to make and not mess up right? Im going to start out with Extract kits just to get the hang of the process and hopefully they make some good beer too.

I was thinking about something from Northern Brewing or there is a local place here that does kits as well that I'm going to check out.

Im also going to keg the beer I think so I need all that stuff as well.

Any recommendations?

Congrats and welcome haha the first 2 beers I brewed were an Irish Red and a Honey Porter and they were very easy beginner beers. As far as kegging I'm not the best guy to answer your question. I have always done and still do bottles, personally I just think it's easier and its a lot cheaper. Your local home brew store should have bottles for pretty cheap and you can also use bottles from other beer you buy! Remember no twist off and brown bottles

So if you got a beer kit what kind of beer is it? Did you get a kit beer or a homebrewers starter set of equipment to brew? It's not quite clear. I've done over 65 batches and never have I ever done a beer kit. I've just followed recipes from the net or I also use Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainescheff and John Palmer to use their recipes as a start when doing a new beer style. What kind of ale do you like? Start there. If you need some good extract recipes just search and ask. I have some great IPA recipes. They are very simple as are most ales. Use your local brewshop and check out what they have or buy the malts and other ingredients and make your own. I've always felt kit beers are unimaginative and I worry about freshness of ingredients. As far as Kegging, check out what corny kegs are available on Craigslist. Used kegs are ok as long as they hold pressure. Clean them well including the dip tubes and change out all the o-rings. Get a CO2 tank and dual gauge regulator, gas line and connectors for each corny keg. I used picnic taps to dispense and got a chest freezer with a temperature controller to keep the kegs at 37 degrees F. It's a great way to go. But first - make beer!

Your local home brew store should have bottles for pretty cheap and you can also use bottles from other beer you buy! Remember no twist off and brown bottles

Oh I have plenty of bottles, I save almost all of my craft brew bottles so that's not a problem. I wanted to keg though because its easier and faster. Yeah it costs more in the beginning but once the initial cost is covered I don't think its too bad. I still may bottle to first few batches though because I doubt Ill have all the stuff I need to keg in time. Plus I don't have a separate fridge yet and there is no wa a corny is fitting in my fridge without basically emptying it.

So if you got a beer kit what kind of beer is it? Did you get a kit beer or a homebrewers starter set of equipment to brew? It's not quite clear. I've done over 65 batches and never have I ever done a beer kit. I've just followed recipes from the net or I also use Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainescheff and John Palmer to use their recipes as a start when doing a new beer style. What kind of ale do you like? Start there. If you need some good extract recipes just search and ask. I have some great IPA recipes. They are very simple as are most ales. Use your local brewshop and check out what they have or buy the malts and other ingredients and make your own. I've always felt kit beers are unimaginative and I worry about freshness of ingredients. As far as Kegging, check out what corny kegs are available on Craigslist. Used kegs are ok as long as they hold pressure. Clean them well including the dip tubes and change out all the o-rings. Get a CO2 tank and dual gauge regulator, gas line and connectors for each corny keg. I used picnic taps to dispense and got a chest freezer with a temperature controller to keep the kegs at 37 degrees F. It's a great way to go. But first - make beer!

Yeah I guess I wasn't clear..its the equipment kit not a recipe kit.

I like a wide variety of beers but my favorites are usually stouts or IPAs and for IPAs the hoppier the better usually. I got the regulator covered already thanks to the classifieds here.

Northern Brewer's popular kits for newbies are the Irish Red Ale, Caribou Slobber (brown ale), American Wheat. All are good choices. I did the Irish Red Ale followed by their Patersbier, Extra Pale Ale then the Nut Brown Ale. All of them were excellent.

Pick any that sound good to you. They are proven recipes and any should turn out good. You do not have to stay away from any style because of being a beginner.

I did those 4 extract kits, then 2 partial mash kits and 2 PM recipes, then an all grain kit and a recipe before starting to formulate my own recipes. I originally started from a recipe then made some alterations. I now use recipes for inspiration and come up with my own recipes. No serious blunders yet and a couple of good surprises.

Welcome home! :mug:

I suggest that if you plan to keg you also consider bottling those bigger beers that need more time or those that aren't likely to be daily drinkers so as not to tie up one or more kegs.

Easing into kegging is a good idea since there are so many things you'll likely want/need. If it took a year to make the plunge on the brewing equipment it will likely take time to accumulate "enough" kegging gear. Multiple kegs, a couple of CO2 cylinders (so when one goes out in the middle of a party you're not hurting), a kegerator/keezer, maybe a nitro setup, faucets, shanks.... the list goes on. Spreading the purchases out over time helps to maintain a low profile and also allows time to learn more an decide which way you want to go on many components.

I think a decent pale ale would be the way to go this time. You have to keep in mind that your GF has to like it as well. She is expecting something tasty, after all. what craft beers does she like, if any?

I was thinking about something from Northern Brewing or there is a local place here that does kits as well that I'm going to check out.

Check out your Local store, they might have a program like mine does you buy the first kit they will brew it with you to show how the equipment works and show you each step of the brew process.

I think a decent pale ale would be the way to go this time. You have to keep in mind that your GF has to like it as well. She is expecting something tasty, after all. what craft beers does she like, if any?

What he said. No better way to assure approval of future expansion than to involve the GF as your brew partner or at least quality control. My Mrs. like to help bottle and provides (biased) feedback on my brews.

Can I get a hell yeah?! Worked for me the first couple years until her medical condition messed it up. Since she got it for him & likes beer, I'd brew something you both like! :tank:

Well she did buy the kit with full intentions if me making beer for her lol. She likes just about everything aside from super hoppy IPAs. Anything Belgian she really likes. She also likes Oktoberfests which honestly aren't my favorite.

Check out your Local store, they might have a program like mine does you buy the first kit they will brew it with you to show how the equipment works and show you each step of the brew process.

There is a place I want to check out that has clinics and things like that. Also there are a fair amount of homebrew clubs around I can check out.

What he said. No better way to assure approval of future expansion than to involve the GF as your brew partner or at least quality control. My Mrs. like to help bottle and provides (biased) feedback on my brews.

Oh trust me she wants to be fully involved. We have talked about this for a while now.

I'd second the motion for an easier beer than a Belgian. I'd tell you to start out with pale ale or maybe an Irish Red for St. Patricks Day. Something simple until you get your brew process worked out. Concentrate on your process for your first beers.

Back