I'm at a loss on rims tube elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarker8541

Reaction score
Im trying to find a non-fold back design 4500w or 5500w element, that is 6-7 inches long, can be longer i would just have to buy another piece of tubing. Any help/links would be much appreciated.

An element that short would most definitely be high watt density. But you didn't say the rated amperage of those elements. I'm going to assume 240v. If you're going to run it at 120v? Also, that seems a bit short for a RIMs tube.

Have you checked for elements at Bostonheatingsupply.com? They might have what you're looking for.

What is the reason for not wanting a foldback element?

Well my rims tube is 1.5 in diameter, seems like its kinda hard to not touch the sides with a fold back element.

In that case any reason why you want to go with 4500+ watts? Most I have seen using the 4500-5500W are running them at 120V giving only >1500W - Could you look for a 1500W 120V element? That might open a few more options to find a non-foldback.

Well my rims tube is 1.5 in diameter, seems like its kinda hard to not touch the sides with a fold back element.

I am using a 1.5" RIMS tube with a 2000w 240v foldback element. Works just fine.

If you're using a SS element like INCOLOY, they can be bent somewhat. I have placed mine in a bench vise, right at the fold, and bent them in a little bit more.

Even if it touches the tube a little bit, I haven't had any problems with any of the RIMS tubes I've built. The tube's going to get hot anyway. I have never burned up an element in a RIMS tube. Knock on wood.

I don't believe what you're looking for exists in anything that could be used in our application. The watt density would have t be so high without a fold back that you'd be scorching the wort as it passed through the RIMS tube.

This one is available on the internet if you google the model number, but it is a bit expensive at around $36.00. Rheem SP10869GL Element - 240V/2000W Stainless Steel Resistored LWD - 9.52" Long

1) A fold back element will fit inside of a 1-1/2" tube.
2) SS elements are available, but not in ULWD.
3) You really want a ULWD element because you WILL dry fire it eventually.
4) 4500 or 5500 watts are too much for RIMS in my opinion (I've scorched wort with that big).
6) 5500 watt ULWD element from HD used at 110vac is the easiest, cheapest, best way to go in my opinion.
Hint: I highly suggest using a tri-clover fitting for ease of cleaning.

1) A fold back element will fit inside of a 1-1/2" tube.
2) SS elements are available, but not in ULWD.
3) You really want a ULWD element because you WILL dry fire it eventually.
4) 4500 or 5500 watts are too much for RIMS in my opinion (I've scorched wort with that big).
6) 5500 watt ULWD element from HD used at 110vac is the easiest, cheapest, best way to go in my opinion.
Hint: I highly suggest using a tri-clover fitting for ease of cleaning.

I've got this element to be run in my RIMS tube at 120V so it's almost the same as ULWD seeing as it's running at 1/4 the strength. It took a little bit of bending, but it's perfectly inside the 1-1/2" SS tube with a couple cm's between the wall. I'd say more just adjusting that bending. It was very easy regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got this element to be run in my RIMS tube at 120V so it's almost the same as ULWD seeing as it's running at 1/4 the strength. It took a little bit of bending, but it's perfectly inside the 1-1/2" SS tube with a couple cm's between the wall. I'd say more just adjusting that bending. It was very easy regardless.

How long is that element???

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5500 w foldback element from lowes fits well inside my 1-1/2" RIMS tube that I got from Bobby. The element did need to be shown some love with a vise to get it to fit properly.

Regards,

Alex J

The 5500 w foldback element from lowes fits well inside my 1-1/2" RIMS tube that I got from Bobby. The element did need to be shown some love with a vise to get it to fit properly.

Regards,

Alex J

Back