I'm afraid I aerated a bit of my beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
Long time reader, brand new member, first time poster.

Brewed a beer (my first) I'm very excited about. About 2.5 gallons.
My girlfriend was holding the siphoning tube, but as it began siphoning I splashed my priming sugar in a small amount of my beer in the bottling bucket (had just started to coat the bottom of the bucket). Then I proceeded to let my siphon mix my batch for me, neglecting to re-read the part of the book carefully that said to stir gently afterward.

I'm racked (get it?) with guilt and shame and like any newbile brewer extremely nervous about my first batch. It's already bottled, but the next two weeks are going to kill me if I can't hear some uplifting, honest news.

Dear friends in beer. Please share your thoughts.

Honestly from experience you might get some overcarbed beers and some undercarbed. I dont think you will have an issue with the splashing as you described.

Your beer is fine...there, is that what you wanted to hear? Now, forget about this batch and start planning your next one...fill that pipeline...Brew On!...:mug:

I can tell you this will not be your first batch you screw up, if you did. I have messed up way to many gallons to count.

Thanks gentle beer guides! I've got the fever, so I've already had another beer (5 gallons) going for a week and a half.

As long as my bottles don't explode and I haven't introduced too much oxygen into my precious beer, I think I'll be the pretty happy!

thanks again for the peace of mind, guys!

Here's good news. ......if the priming solution was in there while the beer was swirling out of the siphon hose, there's a decent chance it mixed in okay.

Thats good news, indeed! thank you.

I'm very concerned about bottle bombs and skunky beer more than anything, but I will trust you guys who have brewed before. It seems like people really do make mistakes all the time and their beer turns out well, so I have hope.

I'm not sure if this matters but it's about 6.6 abv and 104 IBUs. do these traits help prevent spoilage due to oxygen? I'm not really that concerned anymore, I just haven't read any thoughts on the subject.

Your screwed, that beer is going to turn out so bad. I'll send you my address so that I can properly dispose of the "bad" beer for you, you're welcome lol

As long as you dissolved the sugar 1st it'll be fine, I just let the swirling beer mix it all up without a problem, no stirring.

I'm so intoxicated by heady topper right now, I can't find the envelope to mail them to you, andrew!

Thanks cyclman! You guys have all really calmed my nerves. Now I'm just excited.

I completely understand. My first batch is 2 days in the primary fermenter and though I'm normally patient person I can't help constantly checking the temp and making sure it's well sealed. I think it's driving my wife nuts.

Since you're adding more yeast food, it's likely that they'll wind up consuming the small amount of oxygen added during the few seconds' splashing. RDWHAHB!

RDWHAHB I seriously doubt that the 2.5 gallons of your first beer will last long enough for any off flavors from oxygenation to ever even start to develop. :mug:
Brew on!

Latest posts

Back