I'm a dork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
One of the sacrifices I had to make during our move was the fermentation chamber. I had an upright freezer I could ferment 2x 5 gallon brews in. But our new condo has half the square footage of our old house. So the freezer got replaced with the minifridge from my wife's shop. I moved the temperature controller over to it just before the move and never tested it.

We have been in the new place for 3 months. The minifridge has had to stay on the deck because the condo is too small to bring it inside. I've been bummed because it wouldn't hold the controller's setpoint unless it so cold that the heater side kicked on.

I figured the fridge died in the move and I was going to have to replace it. So I've been paranoid about scheduling a brewday if I didn't have any temp control. And getting a minifridge in a car, on a ferry, to the island without making a special trip just for it presents its own logistical challenge. If I did make a special trip just for it, then tack $35 onto the cost of the fridge for the ferry.

Today it dawned on me that I should check the minifridge thermostat setting before tossing it.

It was on the warmest setting.

I'm such a dork.

Back