IIPA not carbonating, what next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlintent

Reaction score
I brewed my 8th batch of beer, a double IPA Best Brew kit, under ideal conditions (mid 60 degree temps) in December, and bottled it over 2 weeks ago after leaving it in primary fermenter for 32 days. The airlock bubbled to beat the band from day 2 to day 9.

I added 5 oz corn sugar to the 5 gallon batch immediately before I bottled, and waited 10 days to try a beer. Tasted good, a little sweet, and no carbonation to speak of. Same thing after 14 days. What could have gone wrong? Any possibility that letting it sit 32 days allowed the viable yeast to fall out of suspension? I figure I will give it another 2 weeks and see what it looks like, but if I don't get any carbonation, what are my options?

What temp are the bottles sitting at? If below 70 then raise the temp and give them another week or two.

Even at 30+ days in primary/secondary there is still plenty of yeast to do the job

If the bottles are stored in a cool location it will take a while.

It is a high alcohol beer (double IPA), it will take a while.

Did you use a highly flocculating yeast - that will make it take longer.

No way did all the yeast drop or die in 32 days. It will carb eventually. I did a Barleywine that took about 3 months to carb.

Relax, an IIPA can take over a month to carb if it's a particularly high OG. My last batch of Denny's Wry Smile took a solid 4 weeks before it was sufficiently carbonated.

Latest posts

Back