IIPA infected, what to do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
My IIPA became infected 2 weeks into dry hopping I racked off into a "thirdary" what can I do to save this beer!!!!!! It was an expensive beer and my first infection!
ForumRunner_20120118_021048.jpg

ForumRunner_20120118_021116.jpg

ForumRunner_20120118_021140.jpg

I have a "crystal brite" wine filter, should I use it then bottle with a lager yeast (best possible yeast for this beer that I have saved)

I don't think a filter would help an infection. IMO, there would still be a small amount of the bacteria still in the beer even after filtering. I hate to say it, but i think it has to go down the drain. Anything added that might kill the infection, will probably ruin the beer in the end.

OTOH, you could try pasteurization.

Yep, infections take a while to fully develop any off flavors they may contribute. Bottle or keg ASAP, refrigerate to slow down/stop any bacterial action & drink ASAP. The longer it sits, they more the infection will affect the flavor. But if it tastes OK now, then drink up while the drinking is good.

To me that looks like a wild yeast. Bacteria tend to grow in solution and turn the growing medium cloudy.

I had an infected SMaSH and I dumped 3lbs of raspberry puree and lambic blend into it. I am going to let it sit until the fall.

If the beer still tastes good, keg and drink, the refrigeration will slow down the flavor changes. If it tastes vinegary, dump it unless you want 5 gallons of vinegar. If it just tastes bad I'd dump in some lambic blend and let it sit for at least 6 months. Figure that its only about $7 and you might be able to save the beer or end up with something quite good.

It tasted ok, I racked and tried not carry any of the floaters into the bucket, I don't have a keg set up but ill probly bottle today,

Be extremely careful with bottling! Almost any bacteria that would cause an infection is going to ferment that sugar far beyond what a typical yeast fermentation is. It's a quick way to make bottle bombs. It's a common problem with sour beers. Just as a warning.

Be extremely careful with bottling! Almost any bacteria that would cause an infection is going to ferment that sugar far beyond what a typical yeast fermentation is. It's a quick way to make bottle bombs. It's a common problem with sour beers. Just as a warning.

+1 if I even thought for a second a beer was infected I would not take the chance of bottling it. Not to mention if it is an infection the flavor will only get worse. I guess just keep checking carbonation and drink them as quickly as possible.

You could add metabisulfate or cambden tabs to kill the infection and reinoculate for bottling once they dissipate. I've never done this but it seems like it should work.

TBrosBrewing said:
You could add metabisulfate or cambden tabs to kill the infection and reinoculate for bottling once they dissipate. I've never done this but it seems like it should work.

I thought of that, looked it up and someone said they added one (crushed) per gallon and it didn't do **** for them, but like u said it does sound like it'd work

if it smells fine and tastes fine, i dont think thats an infection. no bacteria is gunna grow in a IIPA, theres just too much hops. if it was brett you'd have a pellicle

Meta will not kill a bacterial infection. It will kill wild yeast but the bacteria will chug along fine.

+1 if I even thought for a second a beer was infected I would not take the chance of bottling it. Not to mention if it is an infection the flavor will only get worse. I guess just keep checking carbonation and drink them as quickly as possible.

+1 .... very dangerous! I had an infection in one of my previously bottled beers and I didn't know it was infected as I had just let it sit for a few months and when I went to open one of the bottles bubbles started overflowing all over the place from the bottle. They were all like this unfortunately. I had tried one right after it had finished carbing and it was decent, not great though. Oh well, shoulda drank them sooner I guess!

Good luck with your beer, drink em up quick! :mug:

Is there any way to tell?

After reading the thread I realize that you have racked out of primary so I would doubt its protein unless you transfered the clumps twice. Sorry, I'm a Noob to forums! :confused:

If it tastes good I'd bottle it knowing that I should drink it soon and store it someplace where damage from a P.E.B would be minimal. (Potentially Explosive Brewski)

Good luck. :)

I'm contimplating dumping my bottled beer, it just tastes off, and the hops are not detectable, any idea on what kind of infection this is? Should I bleach all my brew equipment to prevent it from comming back?

Chuck and replace anything you can like tubing which is cheap and better discarded than trying to clean.

For things you need to keep I hit them with soapy water then oxyclean(1 scoop to 5 gallons of water for an hour) then a 10% bleach solution for 15 minutes then Star-san. Rinse well after each step so as not to carry over any cleaning product from one step to the other.

I'd do all sorts of experiments with it. I'd answer as many "What would happen if **********" with it. I wondered about taking it back to a boil then cooling it. I'm sure it'll skunk it up, but I'd like to know just how.

How about bottling it in plastic bottles? That way if it turns into a bottle bomb it won't be dangerous.

I have something similar floating in my last batch. I figured it was protein. The beer tastes fine.

I'm contimplating dumping my bottled beer, it just tastes off, and the hops are not detectable, any idea on what kind of infection this is? Should I bleach all my brew equipment to prevent it from comming back?

Maybe the name of your brewery "Kuntzbrewing" has something to do with the "off" taste? Just a thought ;):D

What would happen if I just soak everything this contacted in bleach?

Bleach may or may not work on its own. Bacteria can grow in biofilms which are dense colonies of bacteria on a surface. In this state bacteria are extremely resistant to disinfectants and may be why you picked up the infection in the first place. Consequently, I recommend after an infection to hit it with soap and oxyclean to bust up the biofilms then two sanitizers to finish off the remaining bacteria.

Back