Ignorant mob bully Coke from BVO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daft

Reaction score
Isn't it correct that that Coke was bullied from using a wonderful product for us all due to ignorant and superstitious mob rule via social media? I mean the BVO that allowed coke to integrate refreshing real fruit ingredients into a consistant product http://finance.yahoo.com/news/coke-drop-controversial-ingredient-entirely-163823807.html

The stupid idiotic reason for getting rid of BVO seems entirely aside from the point and irrelevant. Who cares if it has additional use as fire retardant, and some misc countries didn't happen to approve it? Although it looks like they can use substitutes, they will likely be worse or more expensive, or coke can stop it's all too rare instances of trying to integrate real fruit into soda... something very common and delicious overseas.

This explains to me some of the dumb public policy that gets rammed thru recently... the power of social media empowers ignorant uneducated dummies to jump to silly conclusions about "chemicals" or "naturalness" that are perverse and yet forced upon the rest of us. Their goal may be admirable, but they force solutions that sabotage the goal, something they would know if they had paid attention in physics or chemistry class.

It happens a lot in the food industry. If it's not one thing, it's another. About the only thing not under attack from one group or another is water. Some attacks are science based, some are just fear mongering. BVO, according to some studies, has been shown to cause reproductive harm in rats, but upon first glance it seems like a ridiculously high percentage of the diet. I also agree about the fallacy of the fire retardant argument.

I work with baked goods and there's been a recent sudden push to get rid of Azodicarbonamide (a dough conditioner used for loaf volume retention in bread at levels no greater than 45ppm), because some food crusade blogger found out that it was also used in making plastic foams (specifically: yoga mats). Her argument was directed at Subway and their "Eat Fresh" slogan, but it caused a big uproar about people not wanting to eat yoga mats (never mind the difference in usage levels, processing and function of the ingredient).

By that same logic, she better be careful of the phosphoric acid in her Coke that is being used to clean rust off of ships, or the iron in her enriched flour being used to build them. Do you know how many deaths dihydrogen monoxide is responsible for annually? That said, disregard my third sentence. Makes a great fire retardant, though.

Well, looks like I stand corrected. The mob wins this round.

idiocy.jpg

About the only thing not under attack from one group or another is water.

You know, I've learned some very disturbing things about water, and think maybe I should make a blog post about it. For example, did you know that every single person who has ever died drank water at some point in their life?

OK, the DHMO people do a better job than I do at the fear-mongering thing than I do, so I'll leave it at that. But just think, if we could convinve everybody that drinking water is harmful, maybe we could get more people to enjoy some homebrews. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back