Igloo FRF452 Chest Freezer Ferm Fridge suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echoloc8

Acolyte of Fermentalism
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently snagged one of these babies from Best Buy, and I'm planning to use it for a fermentation chamber/fridge.

Has anyone else got one? Any advice or gotchas with it?

I've already got a Johnson A419 controller ready to go (I love the one I'm using on my kegerator), but I had a few questions before I get going this weekend:

• I'm not going to be putting a collar on it; how would you recommend running wires for temp probe, fan, etc. in? Drill, cut the lid gasket, or just dimple the gasket?
  • Mounting the A419 controller: outside the unit with super-tape or screws, or will inside the freezer work?
  • For drilling scenarios, has anyone determined whether any surface other than the lid is safe to drill and where?
  • I and my wife don't care for the unit's white color, and I'm planning to use some contact paper to cover the majority of the cosmetically-facing surfaces. Any downsides to this plan, other than keeping vents, etc. clear?
  • Draining/defrosting: there's a small rubber bung that was included, and apparently a valve on the bottom of the unit to drain. Should I bother worrying about condensation if I'm not going to be running it much below ale temps (low-mid 60s F)? If so, will a dehumidifier like this one be enough?
  • I live in Alabama, so this will almost never need to act as a heater, but in the case where it does, will my brew belt work well enough?

Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to having some real fermentation temp control! :rockin:

-Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Man... nothing. :(

Here's a bump anyway, with an update.

I've taped the temp controller body to a nearby metal desk. Nice and stable, for now.

I ran the probe wire under the gasket at the back of the unit, taped so it "dimples" the gasket consistently.

It's holding temp beautifully, with the probe strapped to a gallon jug of water with a folded-up paper towel for insulation.

Anyone have advice re: drilling or dehumidifying?

-Rich

I just ran my probe the same way you did and also causes a dimple. Once it forms the probe, and it will you will be fine. I put a cpu fan in mine to keep the moisture in suspension and to help move the air. And i also added a small dehumidifier (eva-dry) and I have no condensation problems at all..

Excellent. I'll definitely get a dehumidifier and see what's possible for a computer fan.

How did you hook the fan up?

-Rich

I just wire connected it to a 9v a adapter and plug it in when the chamber is in use.. The cord is a lot thinner than the controller probe so just run it as ya did the probe..I can shoot some pic of my set up if your interested.

I just wire connected it to a 9v a adapter and plug it in when the chamber is in use.. The cord is a lot thinner than the controller probe so just run it as ya did the probe..I can shoot some pic of my set up if your interested.

I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm not positive. A pic or two would be great!

-Rich

Here ya go..

20140109_161426.jpg

20140109_161439.jpg

20140109_161525.jpg

Just a pair of crimp connectors, then? Excellent. I will definitely have to fiddle with that.

9V, how many amps? I'm sure I have a spare fan around somewhere...

-Rich

Back