igloo 4.6 cu ft fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cook11

Reaction score
I just converted an igloo 4.6 mini fridge into a kegerator. It was $97 on walmart free shipping. I thought that was a good deal for a new mini fridge. Fyi there is a coolant line running through the middle of the top of the fridge. It was real easy to find cut a little hole in the inside, chip away some of the insulation and there it is. No other collant line found, and I was able to drill the holes with no problem. It can fit two corny kegs with very little work you just have to cut out the shelf holders, and remove all the door storage. I didnt have to touch the temperature contoll. Very easy conversion. Thought I would share. Also got the dual tap tower for $87 from beverage factory after shipping it was around $108.

ForumRunner_20130829_182607.png

ForumRunner_20130829_182638.jpg

ForumRunner_20130829_182649.jpg

ForumRunner_20130829_182617.png

I didnt cut the channels away yet but based on measurements and and other ones I have built the two kegs will fit no problem. More pics tomorrow

nosnhojm20 said:
You think it would fit a ale pail?

Ps. I demand pics, this sounds sweet!

It will fit an ale pail. I have the same fridge as my fermentation chamber with temp control hooked up to it. It comes with a small metal shelf on the bottom in the front, if you leave the shelf in, the ale pail fits perfectly on it and the back shelf. When you're done, you just pull the shelf up and flip it out of the way against the back wall.

Thanks, DrHops. Sorry to hijack. I have been looking and couldn't find a thread for minifridges that are currently being sold new that would fit to use as a ferm chamber without building a collar.

Keep the pics coming! Are you going to reinforce the tower with a board in the fridge? I would be concerned about stability but I'm sure you've thought of it.

I have a Sanyo 4912 and I took mine one step further when I made it into a kegerator by putting a piece of stained wood on top and screwing the tower into that. It looks much nicer and is very sturdy compared to the wood under the plastic trick.

Any further progress with this build? I picked up the same mini fridge and I am curious to see how it does with cooling two kegs.

I use this same frig with two ball locks. Keeps them cold just fine. When I put a room temp keg in I give it 24 hours to cool it down. As soon as a keg kicks and I've got it open anyway, I'm going to add a small computer fan inside to circulate air. This is really just an experiment to see if it will equalize temperature throughout, hopefully resulting in the unit cycling a bit less. It keeps things cold just fine without a fan though.

NathPowe said:
I use this same frig with two ball locks. Keeps them cold just fine. When I put a room temp keg in I give it 24 hours to cool it down. As soon as a keg kicks and I've got it open anyway, I'm going to add a small computer fan inside to circulate air. This is really just an experiment to see if it will equalize temperature throughout, hopefully resulting in the unit cycling a bit less. It keeps things cold just fine without a fan though.

Would you happen to have any pics of the area you cut the the hole for the tower? Or any other helpful tips to convert this unit would be appreciated.

Would you happen to have any pics of the area you cut the the hole for the tower? Or any other helpful tips to convert this unit would be appreciated.

I actually didn't go with a tower. I put 2 stainless perlicks through the door of the unit. I did this to avoid the tower foaming issues and with K.I.S.S. in mind. It works great. No foaming issues and I think it looks really sharp. I put the whole unit on a stand that's about 18" tall so the taps are at a good height for pouring. I don't have a way to host pictures at the moment but it's on my to-do list so I'll try and get some up eventually.

As far as tips, nothing major comes to mind. If you take your time and have a good plan in mind I'm sure the project will come out great. As seen earlier in this thread, you'll have to shave off the parts of the side walls that hold the shelving. I used a utility knife with a fresh blade (be careful) and just went slow - no problems. I had aluminum tape on hand and it works well to cover the areas you cut out. Also, I moved the thermostat/temp control from the top right on the side wall to the right corner of the ceiling. You'll need to move it to fit the ball locks and I attached it to the ceiling with some velcro strips. 5lb CO2 tank with a dual regulator fits on the compressor shelf. Oh, and I used a piece of aluminum flashing to cover the foam on the door (after removing the door shelving), which is really just aesthetic.

That's all I can think of right now (Blind Pig clone is really good). Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Have fun.

pdietert said:
Will it fit two pin-lock kegs? It looks kind of tight with one ball-lock and one pin-lock.

image-3698311049.jpg

It's a tight squeeze with two ball lock kegs after the tray guides are cut down. I am sure you can make it work. You will just need to cut and remove some insulation from the sides of the fridge

Yes, a 5lb tank w/ regulator will fit on the compressor shelf behind the kegs. It's all a tight squeeze, but it does fit.

Thanks, I'm going to order this fridge today. Can you post any more pictures of the conversion?

I have a Sanyo 4912 and I took mine one step further when I made it into a kegerator by putting a piece of stained wood on top and screwing the tower into that. It looks much nicer and is very sturdy compared to the wood under the plastic trick.

Any pictures?

Yea. I also decided to add a wood countertop to the igloo fridge. Since it does not have a plastic cover /top to remover and set the tower on.

val214 said:
yea. I also decided to add a wood countertop to the igloo fridge. Since it does not have a plastic cover /top to remover and set the tower on.

image-3988403198.jpg

I just converted an igloo 4.6 mini fridge into a kegerator. It was $97 on walmart free shipping. I thought that was a good deal for a new mini fridge. Fyi there is a coolant line running through the middle of the top of the fridge. It was real easy to find cut a little hole in the inside, chip away some of the insulation and there it is. No other collant line found, and I was able to drill the holes with no problem. It can fit two corny kegs with very little work you just have to cut out the shelf holders, and remove all the door storage. I didnt have to touch the temperature contoll. Very easy conversion. Thought I would share. Also got the dual tap tower for $87 from beverage factory after shipping it was around $108.

Middle meaning left to right or front to back?!

I want to run the lines out the top part of the back wall, through a wall and back out for a wall mount tap over a counter. Anyone ever punch through the back of this or any small refrigerator and deal with this kind of a setup? Will have cooling for the lines.

Back