If you were going to grow something other than Willamette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok,
So I am two years in on willamette with a second plant started from the trimmings of the first plant.

Neither one looks anywhere close to producing hops here in Missouri. (I got three barely cones on my second year plant, and the first year cutting didn't make it half the growth of the other cuttings.

What would you grow in the midwest that would offer more chances at beer recipes? Could I do a saaz or hallertau child/hybrid of some kind?

I am looking for a balance American vs European hops so that I could do an American IPA vs some kind of ESB/Irish ale.

I am way further north but I cannot
grow willamette for anything. Chinook, centennial, cascade and hallertauer grow like weeds- invasive weeds, and are completely out of control.

I'm unsure how hallertauer would do for you but the others I mentioned would grow quite well I'm sure!

I am way further north but I cannot
grow willamette for anything. Chinook, centennial, cascade and hallertauer grow like weeds- invasive weeds, and are completely out of control.

I'm unsure how hallertauer would do for you but the others I mentioned would grow quite well I'm sure!

Yooper replied to my post!!! I have MADE it.... :ban::ban::mug::ban::ban:

LOL.

I have six plants going here, part of a package I bought last year. Cascade and centennial are my most prolific so far. Chinook not ready to pick, and was slower start this second summer for some reason. Columbus and chinook should be ready next week or week after.

Hallertau? Ok, I will def look into that for next year.

Try Nugget or Neomexicana 1. I grow those two along with Cascade, Centennial, and Columbus. Nugget is doing well in its second year and Neo 1 is doing great in its 1st year. I don't dare try anything that cannot handle the hot weather. The three C's are all doing great in their second year. Located in St. Louis area.

I'm a little south of Yooper, and I'll agree that Hallertau will work - I got some spindly looking rhizomes from a co-worker that I wondered would even take off, and now two bines are over 20' and have cones everywhere. It's right up there with Chinook/Columbus/Cascade in terms of growth and output. I was surprized that my Fuggles rhizome took off also, so I'll get some hops from that also. It's just taking it's time compared to the others.

Neo1 is another I though about getting, good to see it's okay for our area.

+1 on Nugget. Mine is way out of control. Cascade, CTZ, and Chinook are also pretty crazy, but my Nugget is the best producer so far.

I dumped my Willamette after 3 years of nothing. My mother is growing it next to my Sunbeam plant. Sunbeam has had a harvest, Willamette dried up and died. In 3 years, less than 3 dry oz total. Nugget had over half a pound last year alone.

Ok, so not sure why nugget would be a replacement for Willamette in my garden. Just looked it up an appears to be a bittering hop - 11-16% vs 4-6% and willamette being an aroma hop.

I already have three high alpha hops...Magnum, Chinook, Columbus. Willamette and magnum were going to be headed for brown ale or an esb kinda thing.

Back