If you could only ferment at room temp (68-72F)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
What yeast would you use?

I find that when I do my saisons with 3711 I can just let my fermenter sit in my basement at mid-upper 60s, then move it upstairs once most of primary is done to mid 70s and I get great beer.

Whereas most ale yeasts I've used, this would NOT fly (not even close).

What yeast would you use if you couldn't cool/heat your fermenter?

Well, I wouldn't use Nottingham, that's for sure!

I'd recommend looking online for the charts that yeast manufacterers provide. They tell you what temps work best for which yeast. And I'd usually try and stay on the low side of those temps.

You may also look into setting up a Swamp Cooler. It's a cheap and simple way of keeping temps down during the most important part of the fermentation phase.

Well, I wouldn't use Nottingham, that's for sure!

I'd recommend looking online for the charts that yeast manufacterers provide. They tell you what temps work best for which yeast. And I'd usually try and stay on the low side of those temps.

You may also look into setting up a Swamp Cooler. It's a cheap and simple way of keeping temps down during the most important part of the fermentation phase.

I have a fermentation chamber setup for my pales but now that I'm brewing 10-12 gallon batches, I don't have enough room in there for all of it.

A lot of these belgian style yeasts are good from high 60s to 80~. I think i'll be making a lot of belgians this summer!

What yeast would you use?

I find that when I do my saisons with 3711 I can just let my fermenter sit in my basement at mid-upper 60s, then move it upstairs once most of primary is done to mid 70s and I get great beer.

Whereas most ale yeasts I've used, this would NOT fly (not even close).

What yeast would you use if you couldn't cool/heat your fermenter?

I ferment at 69 degrees mostly with US-05, but I've had very good results with US-04, and Belgain wit (Wyeast 3944).

However, typically from what I've read, as long as it doesn't surpass the recommended temp range (usually up to 75 degrees) you should be fine controlling esters and the production of other off-flavors in your yeast.

I think you're ok to brew whatever your heart desires! ;-)

PacMan, and place fermenter in a swamp cooler. No need to control temps. The water will act as a heat sink, and wort temp will stay within a degree of the water temp

WLP001 or US05 since they are neutral yeasts with a broad temp range. Belgian yeasts are also a good choice since they like warmer temps.

BRY-97 might be worth a try for American style beers. Best if you can keep it in the lower end of your range but it would probably work. I usually ferment it at 66F with good results. I suspect it could handle a little warmer temps especially if you cooled your wort to below that level at pitching and let it rise to fermentation temperature.

001 is a good choice but you might wanna pitch more than usual to try and reduce growth (hopefully getting a cleaner beer)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

You need to remember that during active fermentation the temp can rise as much as 10 degrees over ambient. So your 72 degrees can be as much as 82 degrees for the beer. Too hot for most yeasts.

I often hear people saying Belgian yeasts like it hot. This is not really true. They still need temp control for the first few days. Start warm and let the fermentation get out of control and you will get fusels. (Ask me how I know this)

The only yeasts I am comfortable fermenting with no temp control and fermenting hot are Saison yeasts. 3711 can work, Belle Saison is another good choice. 3724 actually likes it even hotter so unless you can get the temp up even higher or add some 3711 to help it finish, I would avoid that one.

If you can do a simple swamp cooler,then just about any yeast can be used.

Back