If you could go back in time and

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imhoppy

Reaction score
If you could go back at a time before you were born and drink a beer with one person no longer living, who would it be with and where at? And what would you be drinking?

I'd be with Samuel Adams on the ship Dartmouth at Griffin's Wharf in Boston on the winter night of Thursday December 16, 1773 for the "Boston Tea Party" three-hour social event. We would be drinking some Utopias and talking about what things would be like in the future. [emoji481]

Interesting thread idea! I like it. Hmm, I'd have to say probably Bill Hicks, although being and alcoholic in his 20's, he's quit drinking and became vehemently against it up to his death at age 32 from pancreatic cancer. So he might not be the best candidate, but he'd be great to talk to about current events. I don't have a specific date or time in mind.

George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Marilyn Monroe, Ben Franklin, and Johnny Cash all come to mind, as well as B. B.King.

B. B. King would probably lead the pack though. I love his music and, in the early 90's, I worked security in a small club in Rochester, NY, where he, and a 12 year old, ( I think) Joe Bonamassa, played a dinner show that I will never forget. They opened the eyes of this young white country boy, to the wonders of the Blues and music in general. The show was very intimate, with MR. King engaging with the crowd, and Mr Bonamassa, often as if they were all old friends sitting on the back porch of a neighbors house. I worked many such events as this one, at that club. and find it hard to remember any thing about any of them except that particular show! Mr. King made everyone feel like he was indescribably great full that they had come to see him play. He was unbelievably down to earth and approachable. Traits that are very hard to find in a celeb today.

Before that night I don't know if I had ever heard of Mr. King and I know I had never heard of Mr. Bonamassa, after that night, I hope I never forget!

I would love to sit down and enjoy an Arrogant Bastard with Mr B.B. King, or with Mr Bonamassa for that matter.

I'd go to Vienna ca. 1910, shoot Hitler, have a few beers, then hang out with Sigmund Freud.

c5efcb3ca5c34d68905d27a8a187935c_ad048ddc77a94cd381b524a3b1914a06_1_post.png

Wow, that is some very interesting information on how and why hops found their way into the brewing process back in the day. This should be required reading for all brewers as well as for beer consumers. Also interesting is his wife Katharina, a former nun, turned brewer. Sit back, and have her fill your mug!
I'd like to have a beer with Martin Luther, a beer brewed by his wife Katharina.

Ernest Hemingway, preferably billfishing somewhere in the Caribbean in spectacular weather, drinking whatever he offers.
Dude knew how to party...

Cheers!

Thomas Jefferson at Monticello. What an amazing place, I'd love to talk with him about his inventions and of course drink some of his beer and like "Cyclman" tell him how he changed the world. Monticello is one cool place to visit be there next weekend with the family for the umpteenth time.

... Also interesting is his wife Katharina, a former nun, turned brewer. Sit back, and have her fill your mug!

I liked this passage about her, she sounds like a force of nature!

"...Beer was soon to assume an even more central role in Luther's life, thanks to his wife. The intelligent, talented and exceptionally competent Katharina not only bore six children and managed the Luthers' large household with its endless stream of guests but also planted a vegetable garden and fruit trees, raised cows and pigs, had a fish pond, drove a wagon, and — to her husband's undying delight — opened a brewery that produced thousands of pints of beer each year. ..."

Most certainly Nikola Tesla. We owe a good portion of our modern technology to him. AC current being his greatest achievement. Turns out he also enjoyed alcohol a fair bit:

“I myself eschew all stimulants. I also practically abstain from meat. I am convinced that within a century coffee, tea, and tobacco will be no longer in vogue,” he said in the early 20th century. “Alcohol, however, will still be used. It is not a stimulant but a veritable elixir of life.”

I would love to talk to him in person about his idea of ‘wireless electrical current’.

Most certainly Nikola Tesla. We owe a good portion of our modern technology to him. AC current being his greatest achievement. Turns out he also enjoyed alcohol a fair bit:

“I myself eschew all stimulants. I also practically abstain from meat. I am convinced that within a century coffee, tea, and tobacco will be no longer in vogue,” he said in the early 20th century. “Alcohol, however, will still be used. It is not a stimulant but a veritable elixir of life.”

I would love to talk to him in person about his idea of ‘wireless electrical current’.

Did you see “The Prestige”?

George Washington here. At his house and Ill have whatever he is having! So hard to pick one, Abe Lincoln, on the wrestling mat, and new york cider. John Coltrane, Jazz bar, and Louis the 13th cognac. Arnold Palmer, Bay Hill, his little work shed and whatever hes drinking. My Grandma, living room, diet root beer soda. I could keep going, cool to think about. Zhang san feng, the founder of tai chi, forrest, mushroom tea of course.

If your going to change the perimeters of thread..I'd go back and try to sort my self out, a dope slap or three, maybe 30 years back,. and who knows, if I served me a good beer I might even listen to me.

If I was a mod, I'd be wondering if this belonged in general chit chat or drunken ramblings...probably the latter.

If I was a mod, I'd be wondering if this belonged in general chit chat or drunken ramblings...probably the latter.

good one, didn't even see this was homebrew discussion.....and the reason i came back, was to find out where it was, so i could post a competing thread, "what kid that hasn't been born yet would you want to travel into the future and drink a beer with, and what inventions do you imagine they'd have" lol

Back