If I brew using ONLY Maris Otter (Ale. Color: 5EBC), then what style of beer is that?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering what the OG/FG and style of a beer is gonna be if I am only using maris otter malt (all-grain brew).

Thanks.

The OG depends on how much grain you're using... I got 1.057 out of a 10 lb grainbill of Maris Otter on Saturday.

Not sure what style... Depends on how you mash, what hops and yeast you use, etc. No idea what category my beer would fit into (MO malt, Cascade hops, Nottingham yeast)

From what I've been reading about Maris Otter prior to brewing a beer with it there are a lot of people out there that use it as their base malt for any style, instead of US 2-row, for example.

That question is kind of like asking "How much cake can I make if I use Gold Medal Flour?"

The answer, It depends on how much MO you use, and what temp you mash at. Can be calculated easily. Look up "Brew Calculator" and enter your numbers.

You can make almost any style of beer with MO, especially British beers (Stout, Porter, ESB, IPA).
I would recommend using it as a smash malt and try different hop additions to make different styles of beer.

Off the top of my head the only type of beer that I wouldn't use MO in is light lagers and only if I was worried about the color being too dark.

The OG depends on how much grain you're using... I got 1.057 out of a 10 lb grainbill of Maris Otter on Saturday.

Not sure what style... Depends on how you mash, what hops and yeast you use, etc. No idea what category my beer would fit into (MO malt, Cascade hops, Nottingham yeast)

From what I've been reading about Maris Otter prior to brewing a beer with it there are a lot of people out there that use it as their base malt for any style, instead of US 2-row, for example.

Well, this is a pale ale or some sort. I would personally call it an Anglo-American Pale Ale. The MO and Nottingham suggest a bit more of the English pale ale style, while the Cascade suggests APA.

Well, this is a pale ale or some sort. I would personally call it an Anglo-American Pale Ale. The MO and Nottingham suggest a bit more of the English pale ale style, while the Cascade suggests APA.

I agree. It's a British pale ale that's doing a semester abroad in the Pacific Northwest. :mug:

Not sure it fits a definite style, but I'd guess it is going to taste a whole lot like an APA. MO has it's own taste going on, but the difference between it and an american pale malt are fairly subtle compared to the flavor and aroma of cascade. Also, nottingham is a pretty "clean" yeast that is quite similar to american ale yeasts.

You can make almost any style of beer with MO, especially British beers (Stout, Porter, ESB, IPA).
......try different hop additions to make different styles of beer.

+1 to this one

Gravity is determined by how much malt you used and how efficiently your process extracted the sugars from the malt. And style is nothing more than the charactaristics that fall within a set of taste/color/aroma/etc. fences established by the brewing inteligencia.

Your brew probably doesn't fit within any of those fences, but then, why does it matter? Call it "Paleface Fizzy Brew" if you want. Heck, this is home brewing and you're in charge of your own brewhaus. And if it ends up tasting good, make another batch!

Back