Idiot "beer critics"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splattsmier

Reaction score
Is anyone else annoyed when they read "poured a ________ finger head" on Ratebeer/BeerAdvocate/whatever? I don't understand the basis of this descriptor....It changes based on how the beer is poured....am I the only one?!

I hate to say that something so insignificant is annoying to me, but it is. I'm not sure how rating a beer based on some of the things I read on BA and rate beer really matter. Maybe I'm too simple to understand the point but I'm with you here

Meh just tells you how those ratings and rankings should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Those numbers don't tell me what my palette likes

Had to screen capture this from my Instagram because I don't have the pic on my phone anymore. It was a scotch ale that turned into gushers.

image.jpg

I guess I'm petty, lol, but it's a huge peeve. Good call on that huge grain of salt, though - solid point.

I can't read reviews on BA very long before my annoyance level is sky high. I'm not sure why either. I do like it to see over all scores, as I think it is at least a decent barometer for quality.

I just checked - ratebeeradvocate.com is available. You could have your very own site for reviewing beer reviews.

Done and done.

RULE 1 - No fingering beers.
RULE 2 - No waxing poetic like you're trying to bed your beer.
RULE 3 - No curling your mustache while adjusting your hornrim glasses.

Simple enough to follow, methinks.

I can't read reviews on BA very long before my annoyance level is sky high. I'm not sure why either. I do like it to see over all scores, as I think it is at least a decent barometer for quality.

That's pretty much what I do as well. Even then, BA seems pretty prejudiced against sessionable beers in a lot of cases. Ratebeer seems harsher in general.

Back