Identified my Grapes - Isabella

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coboll

Reaction score
I did an intensive search on the internet to identify the grapes we picked and will be starting some plantings in Spring with them.

I believe they are Isabella. The story is that they were brought from Hungary to Wisconsin from an immigrant and were a cross between an American grape and European. I taste a slight hint of Concord and a strawberry taste. They grow abundantly and are nice and ripe. Now I'm ready to make wine with them. I have 140 lbs that are currently frozen with the stems on. My plan was to thaw them out and have them juiced.

Does anyone have a good wine recipe for using these grapes?

Help and thanks!

:tank:

I did an intensive search on the internet to identify the grapes we picked and will be starting some plantings in Spring with them.

I believe they are Isabella. The story is that they were brought from Hungary to Wisconsin from an immigrant and were a cross between an American grape and European. I taste a slight hint of Concord and a strawberry taste. They grow abundantly and are nice and ripe. Now I'm ready to make wine with them. I have 140 lbs that are currently frozen with the stems on. My plan was to thaw them out and have them juiced.

Does anyone have a good wine recipe for using these grapes?

Help and thanks!

:tank:

I don't know anything about that grape strain, I just use a recipe for generic "native grapes", as I have some that appear to be a beta x with concord and some other that I'm unsure of. I've used catawba grapes this way, as well.

I used much of the information from this site: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/natives.asp

Thanks, this is really in depth information on native grapes from JK.....very interesting.
I would like to try the recipe where you don't add as much water and use more juice.
I have 140 lbs and will be juicing them this Saturday. I hope to make a 6 gallon batch.

My first batch of grape wine I added water and grape concentrate. It seems to be coming along nicely in the secondary.

Latest posts

Back