Ideas for new mini electric biab recirc system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverz

Reaction score
I have been using a 2 vessel propane powered system for the last couple years and have been wanting to switch to electric. I have also come to the conclusion I really don't need to make 5 gallons at a time. I like to keep my pipeline fresh with a good variety of beers. It takes me forever to get through 5 gallons myself especially considering I usually only drink on the weekends.

With that said I would like to downsize and go electric. I was thinking about doing a full size 5500watt 240v panel but just recently decided to build a mini system.

I really would like to do a recirculating system to help keep consistent mash temps but in order to keep things somewhat simple and compact I was thinking about rather than using an external pump I thought I might try a small submersible food grade pump like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-12V-Food-Grade-High-Temperature-100C-Water-Pump-47-5GPH-fr-Beer-Brewing-/121342056478?hash=item1c408cd81e:g:jPYAAOxyIPNTc7wc

I was thinking I could just install a strainer on the input so it sucks wort from the bottom of the kettle and recirculates back to the top of the bag somehow. I would also have a thermowell installed in the kettle and controller to maintain mash temps.

I have no idea how well it would work but I like the idea of keeping it simple and not have to deal with the hoses involved in using an external pump.

I am also looking for a new kettle and element. Being it's Cyber Monday does anyone have any recommendations on which kettle to buy?

I am looking to do 2.5-3 gallon batches so would a 5 gallon kettle be adequate?

This is my setup for full volume BIAB when I brew 2.5-3 gallon batches (which is most of the time, for the same reasons you state):

Avantco induction cooktop (3500W, 220V), 8 gallon MoreBeer stainless kettle with barbed valve on the outside, pickup tube on the inside, plumbed via gravity through a small electric pump (24VDC), then up to the lid. A Blichmann thermometer is threaded into the lid hardware so that its probe is fully immersed within the wort as it re-enters the kettle. I use a cheap stainless stand from Amazon and place that over the pickup tube. This prevents the bag from touching the kettle bottom, and more importantly, prevents it from being sucked into the pickup tube.

This rig is not truly temperature controlled, but by using the lower heat settings on the induction unit (140-160F), I maintain pretty stable mash temps with periodic (but not obsessive) monitoring during the mash. And its far simpler/cheaper this way.

Sorry I don't have pics handy as I know they'd be helpful...

I have been using a 2 vessel propane powered system for the last couple years and have been wanting to switch to electric. I have also come to the conclusion I really don't need to make 5 gallons at a time. I like to keep my pipeline fresh with a good variety of beers. It takes me forever to get through 5 gallons myself especially considering I usually only drink on the weekends.

With that said I would like to downsize and go electric. I was thinking about doing a full size 5500watt 240v panel but just recently decided to build a mini system.

I really would like to do a recirculating system to help keep consistent mash temps but in order to keep things somewhat simple and compact I was thinking about rather than using an external pump I thought I might try a small submersible food grade pump like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-12V-Food-Grade-High-Temperature-100C-Water-Pump-47-5GPH-fr-Beer-Brewing-/121342056478?hash=item1c408cd81e:g:jPYAAOxyIPNTc7wc

I was thinking I could just install a strainer on the input so it sucks wort from the bottom of the kettle and recirculates back to the top of the bag somehow. I would also have a thermowell installed in the kettle and controller to maintain mash temps.

I have no idea how well it would work but I like the idea of keeping it simple and not have to deal with the hoses involved in using an external pump.

I am also looking for a new kettle and element. Being it's Cyber Monday does anyone have any recommendations on which kettle to buy?

I am looking to do 2.5-3 gallon batches so would a 5 gallon kettle be adequate?

It looks like most submersible pumps are only rated at 60C when submerged. That's going to be an issue. I guess I'll be using an external pump after all.

Back