Ideas for BYO motorized grain mill guards?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built my motorized grain mill similar to the BYO motorized grain mill project , minus the guard they show. recently my little son was grabbing the 10" sheave, the mill was unplugged. But it got me a little worried that Im just asking for an accident with this thing.

Anyone out there build a good guard for the pulley system they want to share so I can get some inspiration to make my mill safer?

62865d1338261753-motorized-grain-mills-time-show-them-off-img_1760.jpg

I mentioned on another poster's mill build.......Look for an old desk fan, and rob the front and back halves of the blade guard, and see if you can do anything with them.

If yer good with sheet metal, and have access to a Mig welder, the flat layout of the 3 pieces would be easy.
The outer band you could form to shape around the biggest panel, ( as facing in the pic).......Mock it all up in heavy poster board, and transfer it to your metal.

You could even pop rivet it, with "L" brackets all around to secure the pieces to each other.

A bicycle chain guard has the same basic shape as your mill belt/wheel. Maybe you can get one to fit with some modifications.

bike_chain_guard.jpg

Consider also putting a mesh screen across the bottom of the hopper to prevent fingers getting dragged between the rollers.

Do a google search for mini bike parts. They make several "generic" chain guards. Something like that would probably work well with very little modification.

Ya' still need to start with something 10 + inches in diameter to cover that big ol' pulley..........

Haven't seen any bicycle or mini-bike chain guards that diameter.......:mug:

Yep Its a Big wheel, I think Im going to go to my local industrial recycler shop and se If I can find something to re-purpose, after that I'm going to look in to Fab ing some thing out of sheet metal.

OMG... you're smart enough to build a grain mill, but can't figure how to make a guard?
Home depot sells sheet metal, shears and pop rivets. Figure it out.

Back