Ideas for bland Perry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquanator

Reaction score
I recieved a bunch of bartlett pears that were too soft to press, I ended up boiling them into purified water with nutrient, citric acid, and pectic with a little whole sugar to bring it up to 1.075 OG. The fermentation went great but upon racking into secondary it tasted pretty damn bland. The must smelled strongly of pears but apparently not enough was extracted.

Iron chef creativity time, what would you do?

I recieved a bunch of bartlett pears that were too soft to press, I ended up boiling them into purified water with nutrient, citric acid, and pectic with a little whole sugar to bring it up to 1.075 OG. The fermentation went great but upon racking into secondary it tasted pretty damn bland. The must smelled strongly of pears but apparently not enough was extracted.

Iron chef creativity time, what would you do?

It depends on why it was bland (enough pears?) but one quick and easy fix might be to add some acid blend if the wine is "flabby". You can also add some powdered wine tannin, in a minute amount if the wine needs "bite".

By bland, do you mean thin? Does it need more pears or pear juice? Or without much flavor? Or do you mean, decent flavor but no acid/tannin? That will really help how to fix it.

It is thin. I am out of fresh pears. Could I add some juice concentrate or something else to help bulk up the flavor? It could use some tannin and acid blend I'm sure.

Up the overall acidity to get more fruit character. Sometimes even a beverage with a great fruit nose can seem bland upon tasting when lacking the proper acidity.

I was never very happy with my one and only Perry. I still have a couple bottles and mix with a splash of Sprite. Adds a little sweetness and fizz.
Matt

Yeah in the future I won't mess with soft pears, just firm ones that can be pressed.

Back