Ideas for a portable BIAB hoist for heavy batches (to attach pulley).

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesemoney

Reaction score
Asked this another BIAB forum but thought I'd see what you guys have to say about this.

I live in an apartment in Southern California and brew outside. Lots of great days for brewing here. I'm looking for some type of portable stand/hoist/whatever that I can attach to a pulley system for lifting double batches of high gravity beer.

My Equipment:
Blichmann Burner with Leg Extensions
ab_jul_15_2011_03.jpg

(just a pic I grabbed from the internet, not my rig)

80 Quart / 75 Liter Kettle

I like high gravity brews so lifting 30+ lbs of wet grain off of an already high base could be problematic. Any ideas?

So far I have come across:
Alton Brown's Turkey Derrick/Ladder Idea
turkey-derrick.jpg

Harbor Freight Shop Crane - EXPENSIVE (and I have no room for this)!!!
94206d1358107755-biab-brew-stand-hoist-pump-dsc_0400.jpg

The ladder is cheaper but ugly and seems like it would get in the way. The shop crane is almost $200 USD and seems like overkill.

Any ideas? I'm not particularly handy and don't have a way to fabricate anything with metal.

are you on the top floor?

Looks like it but if not I would mount a bike pulley below the deck above you.

Edit: Oops, kettle pic is not yours...

I have one of these for general use:

http://www.imjimzak.com/Items4Sale/Ladder/

And I have a $10 pulley I can attach at the top

If there is a balcony above you, maybe you can negotiate with your neighbor to alloy you to attach a pulley via a rope to the base of their deck, explaining that it would not be stressed by more than 75 pounds at one time, and that would just be for 15 minutes while the bag drains. The only problem is the pulley will be centered above your railing, not your pot.

Even better is to screw in a bolt in the balcony roof above, but it must be secure and would the building owner have a problem with that?

The engine hoist is complete overkill--if you already had one, you certainly could use it for this, but it'd be silly to buy one for this application. Do you brew completely out in the open, or is there some kind of structure overhead? If the latter, an eye bolt and a rope ratchet seem like the simplest solution. If not, you'll need to buy or build some sort of structure to support the weight; the ladder idea is probably the simplest and among the cheapest.

A tripod, bolted or lashed together, will do fine. Wood is very strong in lengthwise compression, 2x2s would be fine. Or use steel pipe, angle iron, pvc.

push it over by the roof. throw a rope over the roof and tie it to the bumper and drive foward 7'. actually a bit much for 30# I guess...

brew down in the yard and lift from on the deck.

drain the pot to another vessel and just push down on the bag or sparge it with a hose a little. then just dump it.

Those pics aren't mine I just wanted to show the height of the burner. I need to brew in the open / kick it on the lawn so rafters or roofs or anything else aren't really options. Hence the need for a portable stand.

I like the tripod idea, wish there was a way to buy an affordable premade version. I'm not particulary handy and may just have to suck it up and buy a ladder. How do you guys attach a hook to the ladder? It'd be nice to drill and bolt a hook rather than the elaborate turkey derrick rigging but I'm not sure my drill could cut it.

I use the ladder. I took a piece of scrap 2x4 and bought a stationary pulley that I mounted to the 2x4. I just throw the 2x4 over one of the steps and the work platform, not sure what that is called on a step ladder. I put a safety hook on the end of the rope that way I can "tie off" the rope to the ladder so it holds my grain basket out of the water to drain.

Can you explain? I don't get it.

I just hang one of these overhead, and pull the bag drawstring through it .. then tie it off. Not the most economical solution, but I had them around. Can also put a biner on there if need be, for a basket handle.

Althe-Olympic-Exercise-Fitness-crossfit-Muscle-font-b-training-b-font-font-b-Gymnastic-b-font.jpg

image-3558621274.jpg

The whole rig is on a rolling cart. The hoist comes off to roll through doorways. It was built from chain link fence parts. I rollout the rig and can be setup in few minutes.

I saw a solution where you split your grain into 3 or more bags so they are easier to lift individually instead of trying to lift 50 lbs at once.

I saw a solution where you split your grain into 3 or more bags so they are easier to lift individually instead of trying to lift 50 lbs at once.

but then wouldn't your efficiency drop? that would mean no stirring during the mash.

I only do 5 gal BIAB, so this may not work for you, but I just use a pizza pan. You just have to lift up high enough to get the pan under it.

cheesemoney said:
Those pics aren't mine I just wanted to show the height of the burner. I need to brew in the open / kick it on the lawn so rafters or roofs or anything else aren't really options. Hence the need for a portable stand.

I like the tripod idea, wish there was a way to buy an affordable premade version. I'm not particulary handy and may just have to suck it up and buy a ladder. How do you guys attach a hook to the ladder? It'd be nice to drill and bolt a hook rather than the elaborate turkey derrick rigging but I'm not sure my drill could cut it.

I made a simple tripod with 3 2x4's, a long bolt, and a 1" wood drill bit.

image-3359120600.jpg

When I BIAB I put an s hook through a hole in my garage door track and then use a ratcheting pulley system I got from Home Depot for ~$12. If I'm outside I use a ladder. I've wondered about building a tripod out of copper that could rest inside the lip of a Keggle. I'd only need to lift and hold above the wort level but the geometry may not work out.

Wilserbrewer sells a nice little light-weight ratcheting pulley if you've got some place to mount it.

Otherwise, I 2nd the idea of tripod made from 2x4s

YoYo2PCS-easyhydro3.jpg

A bit more spendy than the 2x4 idea, but I have been thinking of making a tripod from three pieces of 3/4" black iron pipe. Would have to kludge some kind of piece for the apex, maybe drill 3 holes in a block of sturdy wood and add a hook for the Wilserbrewer ratchet thing.

While have a hook in the ceiling of my garage, the tripod would enable me to move outside, or wherever.

A bit more spendy than the 2x4 idea, but I have been thinking of making a tripod from three pieces of 3/4" black iron pipe. Would have to kludge some kind of piece for the apex, maybe drill 3 holes in a block of sturdy wood and add a hook for the Wilserbrewer ratchet thing.

While have a hook in the ceiling of my garage, the tripod would enable me to move outside, or wherever.

While I like the idea, black iron pipe is a bit costly and heavy as hell, and likely 10 times as strong as you need.

Another idea I just had would be to drive or dig a post sleeve in the ground in the area you want to brew, then simply slide a pole in the hole to utilize as a mast for hoisting. Perhaps a 2' piece of PVC to act as a sleeve, then a 10' length of EMT metal conduit as a mast...simple, cheap, and easy...cheers!

Put a little lean on the mast and the bag would hang over the kettle like a 30 lb bass on a fishing pole coming up over the rail....hahah cheers!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Allied-T...ic-Tube-Conduit-101568/100400409#.UeqmuI3qnAs

While I like the idea, black iron pipe is a bit costly and heavy as hell, and likely 10 times as strong as you need....

Hmmmm...the two of us must not be thinking of the same kind of iron pipe. The pipe I had in mind isn't terribly heavy, probably on par with equal lengths of 2x4 lumber. It's what they use for gas piping. I use it for pipe clamps in my wood shop, and an 8' length weighs just a few pounds. But yes, the cost is considerably more than 2x4s: $13 vs. ~$3 for the wood.

The post sleeve & pole idea would be novel, though not much portability. However, it would have less structure to get in the way (one pole instead of 3 legs). More room to move around the kettle without bumping into tripod legs. If you were going to brew in the same spot all the time, maybe encase the post sleeve in concrete, like you would a fence post. Keep the sleeve just below grade, and you would hardly even notice it.

You could make a portable version of the post sleeve & pole rig, something akin to a portable basketball hoop. You'd need some way of weighting down the base, and the center of gravity would have to be carefully considered.

You could probably make a portable single post and support it with guy lines and tent spikes. But I still think the simple wooden tripod is best for economy and ease of build.

I'm looking for some ideas on this topic as well. I have limited storage space and cannot attach anything to the ceiling of my apartment

Here is my rig. It is made from steel strut like the weldless brew stand concept. I then have a black piece of conduit from the Home Depot like $10 bucks. Added a 90 degree angle and a smaller piece and then drilled in my hook for the pulley. Have a few mounts on the side where I can put the pole in when I need to pull the bag. Then I can remove the pull and roll it out of the garage to begin the boil. If you want a closer picture of how it attaches can send one after work.

rig.jpg

d86cb530-18e0-4314-b852-f34399365e06.jpg

Here is my rig. It is made from steel strut like the weldless brew stand concept. I then have a black piece of conduit from the Home Depot like $10 bucks. Added a 90 degree angle and a smaller piece and then drilled in my hook for the pulley. Have a few mounts on the side where I can put the pole in when I need to pull the bag. Then I can remove the pull and roll it out of the garage to begin the boil. If you want a closer picture of how it attaches can send one after work.

When you say conduit, your not talking about electrical conduit are you? They are not designed to support weight. Last thing you want is a 30lb bag of grains falling/splashing into boiling wort.

He mentions "black" conduit....the pic looks like black iron gas pipe, that's pretty heavy stuff, nothing like Thin wall EMT. Or electrical metallic tubing.

I am just starting my BIAB adventure, stepping up from extract and partial-extract brewing. This was a quandary I was having, how to hoist and hold the bag, since I rent a room in a townhouse and can't really modify anything permanently. I saw an add for one of these:
285089i_ts.jpg

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod..._campaign=CI&gclid=COP695_x7M8CFYJkhgod3mgI0Q

$100 seems a bit expensive, but heck, if it works, is sturdy and collapsible, and is better than anything I could slap together on my own? I might just have to give it a try.

@canis187 , that would work fantastic! and at 500 pounds you could brew some really big beers. ;) Heck, you might even be able to skin a deer with that thing. :D

I use a Costco A frame ladder for my traveling BIAB rig. Mainly because my son found it on the side of the road. Can't beat free.

Back