Ideal Water Profile for West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrews

Reaction score
Simple question, for a simple answer...

What is the perfect water profile for a dry, crisp, aromatic, and bitter West Coast IPA?
Not for your personal tastes, but in general - Think Kern, Alpine, Russian River.

Fill in the blanks...

Calcium:
Magnesium:
Sulfate:
Chloride:
Sodium:
Alkalinity:
Hardness:
Bicarbonate:
pH:

Final water profile given in Bru'n water sheet.To match Pale ale profile.
Also It matched the the So/Cl ratio that was "5.5"
Drinking results now.
Calcium: 140
Magnesium: 11
Sulfate: 283
Chloride: 52
Sodium: 20
Alkalinity: 66
Hardness: 397
Bicarbonate: 79
pH:5.4

I always thought the So/Cl ratio was usually more like 2:1 or 3:1 in most commercial WC IPAs... At least that's what I've heard.

I wouldn't say, personally, that there's any profile that can be said to be ideal. I would say that low-moderate (depending on how to define the 66mg/L above) alkalinity and sulfate in the 150-300 range (which tends to imply a Ca in the 100-150 if you also have a bit of chloride in the water) tends to appeal to a lot of people. I don't believe there's any golden ratio, though. Obviously a proper pH is also important, so you wouldn't want your alkalinity to get too high.

"Ideal" is totally subjective. It depends on the brewer's and drinker's preferences. Bru'n Water provides one suggestion for a workable IPA or PA water profile. It will take time for a brewer to decipher what their preferences are. Get brewing!

"Ideal" is totally subjective. It depends on the brewer's and drinker's preferences. Bru'n Water provides one suggestion for a workable IPA or PA water profile. It will take time for a brewer to decipher what their preferences are. Get brewing!
Santa Rosa water (and even the new brewery) is
Ca 27,5
Mg 17,7
Na 52,3
SO4 0,65
Cl 20,7
HCO3 274,5

I agree. But a clue would be helpful. I think it is impossible to brew a strong ale like Pliny The Elder with this water due low sulfate. What do you think guys: Will Russian River Brewery take osmosis water and gypsum, calcium chlorid and some acid and how much? I can't find any interview of Vinnie about this interesting point. PtE is very welly balanced and has a trace of sweetness in the finish. So Randy Mosher profile will be comfortable but not ideal. I think calcium chlorid is much higher in PtE than in a normal DIPA.

Cheers
Radulph

Last edited:
Pretty sure RR uses RO and builds.

Pliny has equal amounts of CaCl and CaSo4 in the mash and 60/40 CaCl to CaSo4 in the kettle... according to the brew log I’ve seen which was from a while ago.

Pliny also finishes pretty low at around 1.008/1.009. A lot of your water profile depends on the FG and other aspects of the beer. Such a low FG and high bitterness benefits from having a bit more CaCl in my mind. Where as of the same ABV beer finished at 1.014 might benefit from having an increased level of CaSo4 to lighten the body a bit.

Last edited:
I now agree that RR water contains equal amounts of CaCl and CaSO4. I have now adjusted it with 120 CaSO4 and 100 CaCl. I have never had so much CaCl in an IPA!

I brewed it with a little lower IBU 85, because the balance is important for me. I am sure that an increased CaSO4 level makes the body a bit drier, but I have not completely departed from tradition and have increased the SO4 level to 220 ppm and set the SO4:Cl balance to 1.7.

It is the first time after 120 IPAs that I work with a little more CaCl. The sweetness I usually set with Cara malts and English brewing syrups. I am curious

It is the first time after 120 IPAs that I work with a little more CaCl. The sweetness I usually set with Cara malts and English brewing syrups. I am curious

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here, but CaCl doesn't add sweetness.

This is a tough question because you said you don’t want people to provide you with their preference but tht exactly what water chemistry is about, the brewer(ies) and what they like. I guess I could provide a Typical range to aim to be between, but again it’s truly all about preference
Ca: 60-120
Mg : <30
Cl: 50-80
So4: 250+ (some push into the 400s)
Na:<70
Mash ph 5.3/5.4

Latest posts

Back