"Ideal" schedule for conical fermentations.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

We're currently fermenting in temperature controlled Brewhemoths w/ a spunding valve, and I'm curious as to what the "perfect" fermentation procedure would look like from a theoretical standpoint. Obviously every fermentation is different, but just looking for some basic guidelines to be thinking about.

Right now we're basically:

1) Using a blow-off down to a few degrees from our target final gravity. (usually 3-7 days depending on the yeast strain)
2) Attaching the spunding valve (setting for 8-10 PSI).
3) Dump trub once there is at least some pressure in the fermentor.
3) At this point we start letting the temperature free-rise to the upper end of the yeast's recommended range.
4) After what we think is an acceptable flavor profile, crash it.
5) Dump/harvest yeast then let sit cold for 5-7 days.
6) Rack off to kegs.

Anything you guys would recommend doing differently?

This really isn't a response as much as it is another question. The schedule looks good to me...but here is my question. If you have a lot of headspace, say you are fermenting 10 gallons or less in a brewhemoth, do you need a blow-off tube? Could you just uses the spending valve at 0-1 PSI?

I have a 15gal conical that I brew 12-13 gal batches in. I follow the same process with very minor differences. I have a tri-clamp T at the top which has spunding valve AND blow off (blow off has ball valve on it). I've never had had any kräusen in the blow off either, but it is nice to have to quickly see bubbling activity for the yeast stages (still take gravity readings, obviously). I usually get about 2 small trub dumps (about 12 and 30hrs after pitching), then wait out diacetyl/clean up, crash, harvest, rack.

If I miss the window to close the blow off ball value...I have a connection through the spunding valve to pressurize with a little CO2

Latest posts

Back