Ideal fermentation temp for IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravegti

Reaction score
What is the ideal fermentation temp for an IPA? The recipe doesn't specify. I've heard 60's is good for ales and my batch has been in the mid 50's for a few days. Should I worry?

It depends more on the yeast than anything; what yeast are you using?

White Labs California Ale. Just searched it and it says ideal is 68-73. It was 65 the first couple days but I figure thats cause it was vigorous at first. Sitting at 57 now.

I usually have a problem keeping my beer cool, instead of the other way around. I'd recommend finding a place a bit warmer, so you can keep it within the appropriate temp range. And I'd recommend keeping your fermentations within the yeast's range the entire time (if possible) for the best results.

That said, I don't know if I've ever kept a brew below 70 degrees despite using some yeast that recommends it, and I recently did a saison with Wyeast 3724 (76-80 degrees), and I had a hard time keeping it that warm the whole time (it was close but definitely not that warm). All my beers have turned out just fine, and the saison might be the best I've ever made, so you don't have to be perfect, but do your best to match the recs.

For most of my beers I shoot for the low end of whatever the recommended scale is. So for that yeast, I'd try to keep it at 68.

And as far as "should you worry"? I'd get a little warmer but other than that there's nothing to do except wait and take gravity readings (if you do that) and taste it eventually.

Too cold and the yeast can stall and drop out of suspension. A common problem when that happens is that people think it's done and rack it leaving the yeast behind.

The good news is that if you leave it on the yeast, and move it to a warmer location, the yeast will get back to work.

Back