Idea for small scale yeast washing from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Firstly I would like to apologize for being pretty :drunk: and very ADHD.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, or if it is already a method I'm unaware of, but I'm gonna go ahead and put it out there anyway!

Here is what I'm thinking....
If you (corny) keg then you know that you will most often run off a couple pints of hazy, cloudy, yeasty beer before you get to desirable drink.
I don't like dumping these pints down the drain. That, to me, is a waste of precious brew and potentially viable yeast.

So I am suggesting that rather than pouring pints (essentially down the drain) until the beer flows clear, that your first run goes into a sanitized growler, (we'll say a 2 liter for clarity's sake, just to be on the safe side) and then that growler be placed in the fridge for, oh, I dunno, about 48 hours.

I say 48 hours because I would think that this would be enough time for yeast to fall from suspension, but not enough time for even the poorest of growler fills to completely lose carbonation.

So now you should have the first pour of beer, that you would have otherwise dumped, cleared and drinkable, leaving a bottle conditioned like layer of yeast (also would have been dumped) at the bottom of the growler.

From there, I should think that you would be able to wash the yeast from the growler just as you would the yeast cake in a carboy.

Sure, it would be significantly less, but if you're like me, a full wash will often go to waste (or at least leaving you questioning it's viability and whether or not it is worth wasting DME on testing it in a starter.)

...and here is the big bonus; NO TRUB!
Only sweet milky yeast!
Well, maybe a little trub, but it seems it would be significantly less than what you could get from washing yeast from a primary fermenter.

THE END

Sorry that was so long...
So, what do you think?!
Feasible?

BUMP

Any input at all would be appreciated.

Am I ripping off another concept or something?? I feel like I'm being overlooked for a reason, probably just paranoia tho...

Latest posts

Back