Idea for chilling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolinaMatt

Reaction score
This may be a completely stupid idea, but what the heck.

This will be my first time brewing a 10 gallon batch this weekend and I don't want to spend hours cooling it. I have an immersion chiller, but as the weather is in the 80s-90s it isn't exactly cold water from the ground.

So my idea:

Can I just attach a few of my garden hoses together and coil that up and place it in a bucket of ice water -- it runs through the hose in the ice water before making its way to the line for the wort chiller. Will this help much?

I'm sure it would not be nearly as cold as getting another wort chiller, but sometimes gotta work on a budget.

Let me know if this will help or if it will be pointless.

Thanks!

Will help. But garden hoses don't alway cooperate. Be sure you tie the hose in the coiled position, or at least have something to keep it from floating and flopping out.

Chances are your hoses will be too thick and the ice water won't be enough.

If you know another brewer nearby that has a chiller you could borrow you can put it in the ice water before running to your chiller.

Borrowing a friends chiller may be just the trick as I remember my buddy has one. What is the best way for me to connect them? Mine has the garden hose attachment on one end.

If you have a pump that you can recirculate the water use that after you get it as low as you can with your water. Fill a cooler or tub with ice water, switch over to the pump and recirculate it to get it down the rest of the way. That's what I do during these hot summer months with good success. Good luck!

If you have a pump that you can recirculate the water use that after you get it as low as you can with your water. Fill a cooler or tub with ice water, switch over to the pump and recirculate it to get it down the rest of the way. That's what I do during these hot summer months with good success. Good luck!

That's what I do in the summer. Just fill a cooler with ice water and recirculate it back into there after I get it under 90F with my ground water. I just used this cheap pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RVPNQL/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's powerful enough to pump it through about 5 feet of hose plus the Hydra immersion chiller, so it's got some power behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I do in the summer. Just fill a cooler with ice water and recirculate it back into there after I get it under 90F with my ground water. I just used this cheap pump: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RVPNQL/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's powerful enough to pump it through about 5 feet of hose plus the Hydra immersion chiller, so it's got some power behind it.
Okay I like this idea a lot! I know my tubing is 3/8 ID -- so for this pump I would need to get a smaller nozzle to attach it to right? Thanks!

Okay I like this idea a lot! I know my tubing is 3/8 ID -- so for this pump I would need to get a smaller nozzle to attach it to right? Thanks!

I bought this with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PKMVVA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I used probably like 3 or 4 inches of 0.5" ID tube to connect the pump to the hose fitting, using hose clamps to keep it all sealed. You could just to put a hose fitting on the end of your tubing to now hook up to the pump. That may be easier than finding a smaller nozzle that will fit the pump.

I bought this with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PKMVVA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I used probably like 3 or 4 inches of 0.5" ID tube to connect the pump to the hose fitting, using hose clamps to keep it all sealed. You could just to put a hose fitting on the end of your tubing to now hook up to the pump. That may be easier than finding a smaller nozzle that will fit the pump.
oh perfect, I do have a garden hose attachment on one end of the ID tube - - would it fit on to this pump?

Then the other end of the ID tube where the water comes out you just recirculate the water right?

...garden hoses together and coil that up and place it in a bucket of ice water -- it runs through the hose in the ice water before making its way to the line for the wort chiller. Will this help much?

It might help some, but heat transfer through the wall of the garden hose is not going to be good, nowhere near as good as metal. Pre-chillers can only help so much anyway.

I agree with the others that recirculation is the way to go. This pump has been working well for me, it comes standard with garden hose connections. First recirculate from a couple of 5gal buckets of tap water, then switch to recirculating from a big cooler filled with ice water. I'd recommend about 40lbs of ice, mixed with 5-10 gal of water, to finish off cooling your 10gal batch.

Shop around for ice, I get 20lb of crushed ice for $1.99 + tax at a local grocery store. Crushed or small cubes are best, because of the greater surface area, which gives better heat transfer.

It might help some, but heat transfer through the wall of the garden hose is not going to be good, nowhere near as good as metal. Pre-chillers can only help so much anyway.

I agree with the others that recirculation is the way to go. This pump has been working well for me, it comes standard with garden hose connections. First recirculate from a couple of 5gal buckets of tap water, then switch to recirculating from a big cooler filled with ice water. I'd recommend about 40lbs of ice, mixed with 5-10 gal of water, to finish off cooling your 10gal batch.

Shop around for ice, I get 20lb of crushed ice for $1.99 + tax at a local grocery store. Crushed or small cubes are best, because of the greater surface area, which gives better heat transfer.
Any idea of an estimate of how long it would take to get down to pitching temp? Love the idea of being able to save/reuse water. Are the initial buckets of tap water pretty effective to start?

Any idea of an estimate of how long it would take to get down to pitching temp? Love the idea of being able to save/reuse water. Are the initial buckets of tap water pretty effective to start?

On a 5gal batch I can get to pitching temps in ~10-15 minutes, your 10gal batch will of course take longer.

I recirculate the initial bucket of water until the wort and water temps are almost equal, which worked out to be 140F on my last brew day. I cap that bucket and save it as my wash water for post brew cleanup. For a 5gal batch I just use one bucket of tap water before switching to ice water, but you're almost surely going to need a couple of buckets of tap water.

Also wait a few minutes before you start chilling, and during that time use a fan to blow air over your kettle/burner. That will dissipate a lot of heat from the metal.

I got a pump on amazon about 15$ to recirculate ice water for chilling. It can also be used for a carboy and keg washer pump. Also if your name tells where you are then north or south? Lol, if SC then check out our midlands area brewers thread

Is that a big sink in your profile picture? The larger the water volume, the better "mass" cooling works. I have found that initial cooling in a large water volume can quickly take my brew from boiling to 150F and below. Giving the wort a careful spin with the mash paddle or spoon accelerates the process. I don't always use this method, especially if I whirlpool hops (which is often).

Another thing to note is that immersion chillers work much better if they are moving. I can chill my 7G batches in about 10 mins if I stand there moving the chiller the whole time. Or 40 mins if I leave it alone and stir occasionally.

Is that a big sink in your profile picture? The larger the water volume, the better "mass" cooling works. I have found that initial cooling in a large water volume can quickly take my brew from boiling to 150F and below. Giving the wort a careful spin with the mash paddle or spoon accelerates the process. I don't always use this method, especially if I whirlpool hops (which is often).
I wish it was a big sink haha it's my kegerator/fermentation chamber

Another thing to note is that immersion chillers work much better if they are moving. I can chill my 7G batches in about 10 mins if I stand there moving the chiller the whole time. Or 40 mins if I leave it alone and stir occasionally.
cool thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to do that!

I got a pump on amazon about 15$ to recirculate ice water for chilling. It can also be used for a carboy and keg washer pump. Also if your name tells where you are then north or south? Lol, if SC then check out our midlands area brewers thread
When you recirculate the water does it stay relatively cold or does it warm up quickly? I'm in Charlotte area.

Trying to keep everything cost effective/friendly -- I think this little pump from amazon should do the trick .... what do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Submersible-Aquarium-Fountain-Hydroponics/dp/B00EWENKXO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1533045815&sr=8-6&keywords=water+pump&th=1

It looks like that tiny pump is made to immerse in an aquarium, to provide movement in the water. I'd be concerned that it is not adequate for pumping through hoses/pipes, and lifting water a few feet feet up into a kettle immersion chiller.

It looks like that tiny pump is made to immerse in an aquarium, to provide movement in the water. I'd be concerned that it is not adequate for pumping through hoses/pipes, and lifting water a few feet feet up into a kettle immersion chiller.
Yea was wonder if it was powerful enough. I'd just be running it through the 3/8 ID hose to the wort chiller. I'd put the bucket it on a table so it's even level with the brew kettle. hmmmmmmmm

When you recirculate the water does it stay relatively cold or does it warm up quickly? I'm in Charlotte area.

The water exiting the chiller will be untouchably hot at first. I collect this water separately for about 6 gallons or so if using ice water the wort should be down to about 150 ish. Once it gets to about 150-140 then i move that hose to the ice cooler for recirculation. I use about 40 lbs of ice and a few gallons of cold water in a cooler. I have a 600 gph pump so i dont believe that 80 one will not work that well. Search you tube for brew-n-bbq by Larry recirculating immersion chiller he used a 500 gph pump and said if he could do it again hed get a 600 and mine was only 15$ on amazon then i got an 18$ cooler at wal mart. Oh charlotte eh? I heard theres a big homebrew store up there

My method is to move the beer, instead of the chiller, using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I210I6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I just attach it to my power drill.

Trying to keep everything cost effective/friendly -- I think this little pump from amazon should do the trick .... what do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Submersible-Aquarium-Fountain-Hydroponics/dp/B00EWENKXO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1533045815&sr=8-6&keywords=water+pump&th=1

Thanks!

I think 80 GPH might be a little weak. I'd spend a few more bucks and get something that can move a little more water. The hydra is a lot of copper to go through.

My method is to move the beer, instead of the chiller, using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I210I6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I just attach it to my power drill.

I think 80 GPH might be a little weak. I'd spend a few more bucks and get something that can move a little more water. The hydra is a lot of copper to go through.
Oh nice so essentially you create your own whirlpool with the drill. I've got something like that so I'll have to do that as well. Is there a certain point you start using the drill? Should I have any worries of aerating the wort at a certain temp that could be harmful? Yea I'll go with the bigger pump posted early in thread. Thanks!

The water exiting the chiller will be untouchably hot at first. I collect this water separately for about 6 gallons or so if using ice water the wort should be down to about 150 ish. Once it gets to about 150-140 then i move that hose to the ice cooler for recirculation. I use about 40 lbs of ice and a few gallons of cold water in a cooler. I have a 600 gph pump so i dont believe that 80 one will not work that well. Search you tube for brew-n-bbq by Larry recirculating immersion chiller he used a 500 gph pump and said if he could do it again hed get a 600 and mine was only 15$ on amazon then i got an 18$ cooler at wal mart. Oh charlotte eh? I heard theres a big homebrew store up there
Yes Sounds like I need to get the bigger one. Agreed that water coming out at first is quite warm! Yea there are a few different Alternative Beverage locations (Charlotte, Belmont, Mooresville) that I go to for my grains.

Oh nice so essentially you create your own whirlpool with the drill. I've got something like that so I'll have to do that as well. Is there a certain point you start using the drill? Should I have any worries of aerating the wort at a certain temp that could be harmful? Yea I'll go with the bigger pump posted early in thread. Thanks!

When I got the hydra chiller, I decided I was going to get something like that to cut down my brew days a bit more. The first time I used it I set the drill to the faster speed setting and it aerated the hell out of it. Like inches of foam. So now I keep it at speed 1 or if I have it on speed 2, I don't press the trigger all the way. Just enough to get a really good whirlpool. I've never noticed any issues with hot side aeration and based on the Brulosophy experiment, it makes me even less worried: http://brulosophy.com/2014/11/18/is-hot-side-aeration-fact-or-fiction-exbeeriment-results/

Yes Sounds like I need to get the bigger one. Agreed that water coming out at first is quite warm! Yea there are a few different Alternative Beverage locations (Charlotte, Belmont, Mooresville) that I go to for my grains.

I believe thats the one ive heard of. Theres a guy here that likes to go up there when he needs to stock up. Wish i could do that! Lol

I believe thats the one ive heard of. Theres a guy here that likes to go up there when he needs to stock up. Wish i could do that! Lol
Yea I very much enjoy it. Also, can crush my grains there which is nice! Where do you usually get your stuff from?

Yea I very much enjoy it. Also, can crush my grains there which is nice! Where do you usually get your stuff from?

I usually order my stuff online. Im too busy and theres not a convenient local place. The closest one is like 30 min away. Go to alternative beverage and tell them to open a store near me! Lol

I usually order my stuff online. Im too busy and theres not a convenient local place. The closest one is like 30 min away. Go to alternative beverage and tell them to open a store near me! Lol
haha good call! Where abouts are you located?

have you ever thought of using dry ice in your pre-chiller?

have you ever thought of using dry ice in your pre-chiller?

How would that work? In a water bath? Doesthe dry ice dissolve quickly? You gotta have some contact with the coils, i assume watr is the mechanism.

Ive heard of people freezing a salt water mix or “brine” and using that. Because of the salt it has a lower freezing point therefore it can be colder and still flow through a chiller

Just get a coil of copper tubing, 20 feet or so from your local big box DIY retailer should only cost around $10, and run the water through that in a cooler or tub full of ice and water on its way to your chiller. I would have the cooler with ice ready and only submerge the coil in it once your wort gets down to 120 or so to take it down to pitching temps. Even better would be using a pump to recirculate cooling water like @Bubman suggested.

Latest posts

Back